I hate cold weather, but I love using it as an excuse to sip on hot, comforting sweet drinks. And once it's December, I go crazy on the peppermint. When bags of Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark or Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses hit the stores, I immediately run and treat myself. And let's not forget that I make every excuse I can to order a Peppermint Mocha, especially because I get a ton of Starbucks gift cards for my birthday.
A few weeks ago, Cecilio and I were wondering what to have for dessert. There was no way in hell I was going to eat ice cream in this freezing forecast, so we went to the grocery store to look for some hot chocolate. Of course, the Smirnoff™ Peppermint Twist vodka was calling my name along with all of the other holiday treats. I recall my 21st birthday 6 years ago, and buying a bottle of peppermint schnapps as my first legal drink. I felt that sense of nostalgia, and knew how much it would go so well with our hot chocolate.
This is your classic holiday drink, all grown up.
I promise you that this is super-duper easy to make. The peppermint is strong too, giving you those feelings of comfort in the midst of nasty weather. Best of all? This goes with any winter occasion, whether you are cozying up by the fireplace or having a hot cocoa bar at a Christmas party.
Spiked Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- 1.5 cups of water or milk
- 1 hot cocoa packet (I used Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa Packet)
- 2 oz. of Smirnoff™ Peppermint Twist vodka (you can also use peppermint schnapps or creme de menthe as an alternative)
- 1 candy cane
- a handful of marshmallows (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- Pour water or milk into a mug and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes
- Add hot cocoa packet
- Add the shots of peppermint vodka
- Stir with candy cane
- Add marshmallows and/or whipped cream
Sip away! I hope you enjoy this delicious delight!