Linkin Park & Fort Minor Playlist


Cecilio works at the local news station as a digital journalist/producer, so he gets access to breaking news before it gets released to the public. On Thursday, when he told me that Chester Bennington from Linkin Park committed suicide, I was in shock. 

Then my heart sunk. I was shaken as the news started to unfold all over social media. When I was in the car, the local alternative station was playing Linkin Park songs, and eventually played a few Audioslave songs (Chester Bennington was a good friend of Audioslave frontman Chris Cornell, who also committed suicide in May. I never listened to them so his death wasn't as moving for me. It also happened that Chester died on Chris' birthday).

I have been a fan of Linkin Park since I was in 7th grade. At the time, the only album was Hybrid Theory. I was looking for new music to listen to since I just moved and wanted to fit in with my peers and keep up with the latest pop culture. Beforehand, I only liked teenybopper bands from Radio Disney. I became a fan, and bought their Meteora album that released when I was in 8th grade. I bought their t-shirt from Hot Topic that I lost, regretfully so. I did buy their poster that I've kept for 15 years and is still hung up in my room at my mom's house. I thought I was soooo badass. A friend of mine invited me to go see them in concert my freshman year (well, with his dad as a chaperone). At first my parents agreed to let me go. But my mom forbade me at the last minute (due to a stupid fight we had at the time).

Linkin Parks' music helped me a lot through my growing pains: I was bullied pretty badly in middle school, and while I made a lot more friends during freshman year, I was going through depression and teenage angst. I found out that Chester too was bullied for being skinny and different, and that he was abused as a child. All of that lead him to drugs and darkness. 

So many other friends and acquaintances were shocked and saddened by his death. But let it be a lesson for others to seek help for mental illness, and to not be afraid to talk about it. If you're going through depression and/or have suicidal thoughts, don't be afraid to talk to a trusted loved one and seek therapy. There is always hope and light at the end of the tunnel. You are never alone.

I compiled a playlist of Linkin Park songs in Chester's honor. I added in a few Fort Minor songs as well (Fort Minor is other LP member Mike Shinoda's side project).


R.I.P. Chester Bennington 
(03.20.76–07.20.17)

Did you listen to Linkin Park growing up? How has Chester's death affected you?

4 comments :

  1. I haven't heard a lot of their music before, but it was really sad to hear xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to a lot of this. LP was my first favorite band that I chose myself rather than liking the pop groups everyone else was liking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved Shadow of the Day and Iridescent (one of their newer songs) and now all I can hear from them are the hopeless tones...tragedies like this truly make people aware of the reaches of depression and mental illness. Very sad to learn about his struggle :(

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crushed...honestly crushed. When my husband told me I really thought he was pulling my legs... :-(

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete