How I use Twitter to promote my blog + grow my following

How I use Twitter to promote my blog + grow my following , twitter, seo, blog seo, growing twitter blog, bitly, buffer, twitter chats

One of my biggest mistakes when I first started blogging 3 years ago was not utilizing social media to its fullest. Ok, when I did start Floraful, I created my twitter to go along with it, @im_hannaheunice. I followed all of my favorite beauty and fashion brands, celebrities, politicians, local businesses, etc. I promoted my blog posts like I do today (my proud moment as a baby blogger was when I wrote a post about my birthday haul from Francesca's Collections, tweeted it and they read it, and sent me free items), but for the most part, I had no clue what I was doing. I didn't know how to find other fellow bloggers. Overtime, I did start finding other bloggers (and they found me as well), promoted more often, and joined Twitter chats.

As of now I have 848 followers and still growing and learning. Yes, I know that for blogging for 3 years, I should have more. But like I said, I did not utilize social media as much as I should've. But here's what I did to grow my following and promote my blog.

Shorten your URL and tag retweet accounts
When I just have a new blog post, I copy my post's URL go on bit.ly to have it shortened. That way, when I promote in on Twitter, I have more room in the 140-character space to tag the accounts that will retweet your posts and reach more users. The retweet accounts I usually tag are @GRLPWRCHAT, @BBlogRT, @BloggerBees, @LbloggersChat, @BloggersTribe, and @USBloggerRT. Those are the ones that always retweet my posts.

How I use Twitter to promote my blog + grow my following , twitter, seo, blog seo, growing twitter blog, bitly, buffer, twitter chats

Schedule your tweets
I linked my Twitter to Buffer to schedule my tweets. Like bit.ly, Buffer also shortens your URL so you have more room to tag retweet accounts and add hashtags. I even tweet my posts from 2015 and 2016! (But not from 2014, let's not get there) You can also "re-buffer" your tweets so that you don't have to keep retyping. But Buffer also gives you the option to edit those tweets (can Twitter themselves actually get on board?!) if you want to tag other retweet accounts. You can also download the Buffer app and schedule from your phone, so there's no excuse! Other bloggers use Hootsuite, but I haven't so I can't talk about my experience with that.

Join Facebook Groups for bloggers
I know this post is not about Facebook, but I can tell you that joining Facebook groups for bloggers have helped me tremendously with my social media following and my blog views. My favorites are Bloggers Supporting Bloggers, Beauty Bloggers Forum, and Beauties on Fire. Usually, those groups have a specific day to post your blog for comments, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook accounts. For Bloggers Supporting Bloggers, Thursdays are for promoting your twitter. I can't tell you how much more these groups have helped grow my blog and social media accounts immensely, and how I have been able to find other blogs to read.

How I use Twitter to promote my blog + grow my following , twitter, seo, blog seo, growing twitter blog, bitly, buffer, twitter chats

Participate in Twitter chats
Joining Twitter chats has not only helped my following grow but also get to know other bloggers on a personal level. My favorites chats to be a part of are #thegirlgang, #thebloggershub, #fblchat, #lbloggers and #bbloggers. All of these chats are based in the UK and I live 8 hours behind, so I don't always participate every week. But lately, I've been loving the #USBlogChat since the blogging community here in the States is smaller and tight-knit, and you get to know other bloggers even more.

Stay patient, be yourself, and don't stress out over stats
Growth doesn't happen overnight, but if you are persistent and patient, great things will happen. In the meantime, enjoy the process. Don't just tweet to promote your posts, but actively respond to other people you're following. Get to know them. So that leads to one thing: I know this post is about growth, but that's not the be-all, end-all of blogging. Let us not obsess over numbers. Engagement is more important. Guys, my grandma recently passed away and I tweeted about it to express my sadness, and I was amazed (and surprised) with the outpouring of support and condolences from others. Of course stats are important (especially if you want to work with brands) but always remind yourself why you love blogging and why you started in the first place.

How do you use Twitter to promote your blog and gain a solid following?

8 comments :

  1. Great tips Hannah, and it's amazing that you have been blogging for 3 years, I have been doing this one year and a half. I share my posts on social media and twitter helped me a lot, I would also love to participate in chats but I am always late due to the time zone difference. And I agree with you that in the end, it's not all about numbers but doing what we love and doing it with passion. Great post and well done :)

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get more involved in twitter chats, I probably join like 2 a month. Scheduling tweets deffo helped me ALOT too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great tips, I always hear about twitter chats but I don't know what they are or how to join!

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tips are so good! I'm still really shit at promoting on social media lol, especially twitter and facebook. I've never joined a twitter chat, but that always sounds fun!

    xx Nida

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I need to get more involved with my social media!
    Have an amazing day!
    xx Kris

    https://dreamingofpink.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These tips were super helpful! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great tips! I really need to join in chats more regularly, and just utilise it better xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete