A Newlyweds' Apartment Wishlist


In my 27 years of existing, my 1-bedroom, 670 square-foot apartment is the smallest habitat I've ever lived in. But I have never been happier.

Cecilio and I never had the full "college experience" of living on campus in the dorms. He grew up in Davis, and being from a college town he definitely felt the pressure to go to a UC, a private or out-of-state school right after high school. The education in Davis revolved around going to a 4-year university, and nothing less. And he got accepted to 2 universities, but circumstances forced him to go to community college, where we met (it's all for the best!) He eventually did transfer to UC Davis, but he still lived at home and commuted via car or bike. So he's been ready to have his own place since he was young, but had shattered dreams of going to a university and living in a dorm.

During the final stages of wedding planning, we were searching for an apartment that would fit within our budget and accept pets. We moved into our current apartment on April 7. After the move, Cecilio was raring to buy all the furniture and other items we needed for our apartment. I was excited too, but I was also very overwhelmed when he kept asking me,"Do you have anything in mind to buy for our place?" It's both of our first times on our own, and I had no idea where to start. Now we've settled and lived here for 3.5 months, and I have the big urge to decorate our space more and more. I've been dying to do an apartment tour blog post, but not until everything is complete!

The money I haven't been spending on makeup as much this month, I've been pouring over decor, shelves, photos, frames, and a side table for our couch. I've been searching on Uncommon Goods* for hours, ooh-ing and ahh-ing over items we could use for our space. 

Uncommon Goods is a marketplace that where artists and craftsmen can sell handmade gifts, furniture, decor, and other kitschy items. I completely support their shop because believe me, it's difficult making a living as an artist. Uncommon Goods gives artists a chance to showcase their work and sell products that people will enjoy and use for years to come. You are also supporting the artist and their calling. You won't find generic, big box store artwork here.  Uncommon Goods is also big on sustainability and philanthropy. They work with artists to use recyclable materials for products and packaging as much as possible. In addition every $1 spent is donated to a nonprofit of your choice. You can find gifts for birthdays, graduations, your bridesmaids, groomsmen, and even for an expecting couple and little one.

Cecilio and I have whimsical, colorful taste for our home and fashion. We like pops of color everywhere. I am digging the midmodern century trend in interior design, but he finds it drab. I like to incorporate elements of it along with color to make our place more "us" and to enjoy coming home. Uncommon Goods provides items and artwork that is suited to our taste.

Here's a few of the items that would go really well in our little pad:

Sea of Love Art Print 
A print that has different sea animals, such as whales, a seal, turtle, crab, and various fish, I can see thing being hung on the wall right next to our dining table (which is pretty bare right now). Cecilio loves whales (but not turtles), and this art piece reflects our love for marine life.

Recycled Wine Bottle Candle 
Another piece of proof that Uncommon Goods is all about sustainability: instead of throwing away wine bottles, designer Kelsey Paz re-used them to create this adorable candles made out of organic soy and beeswax. It can't get any greener than that. I've been craving for more candles to add sense of hygge to our apartment.

Smart Garden Grow Kit 
I would love to learn to garden and grow my own fruits and vegetables, but all of the gardening terminology I research goes over my head. This little kit has made it so simple for green thumb newbies, with the NASA-inspired soil to give your plants the right amount of water and nutrients, and LED system for the perfect amount of light. For this kit, you can even add an extra $20 if you want a basil, parsley, tomato or strawberry refill.

Vintage Vinyl Bluetooth Speaker 
Cecilio loves vinyls and even has his own turntable, but there is absolutely no more space in our apartment for it. He has been expressing his desire for a bluetooth speaker so that he can listen to music while cooking. This speaker is perfect for him! It adds bit of a retro feel with a modern twist.

Cast Iron Grill with Wood Trivet 
Cecilio has also been wanting an iron skillet to cook with, and the more the better! I find it interesting that one side is smooth for making sandwiches and pancakes, and the other side is ridged for grilled veggies and meats.

Heart Marks the Spot Pillow 
This map-silhouetted pillow comes with a threaded needle and 2 buttons (a star and a heart) to sew on your favorite areas in the world. For this heartfelt gift, I would put the heart button over Sacramento because it's where Cecilio and I met, spent the most time together, got married, and where we live. And I would put the star over NYC, where he proposed.

Set of 4 Agate Coasters 
I've been loving the agate/geode trend going on right now. I would especially need these because they are not manufactured: instead, they are formed from the lava from Southern Brazil. I would hang 1 or 2 pieces on the wall, and place another one on the side table to put my drink on top of to not ruin the tablecloth.

Array of Actual Sized Animal Tracks Doormat 
I hate our doormat right now because it's plain and it keeps moving around. But how adorable and quirky is this doormat? It consists of life-sized animal footprints, including a size 7 woman's foot. You can see the largest footprint from the elephant on the bottom left of the mat.

As we are still in the process of decorating our apartment, I will keep Uncommon Goods in mind to shop for unique, handcrafted items.

Are you familiar with Uncommon Goods? Is there anything in this list that would interest you?

*This post is sponsored by UncommonGoods.com. However, opinions are 100% my own.

3 comments :

  1. I love this site, you can find some the cutest and as cliche as it is 'uncommon' things haha!

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These coasters are so amazing! I've been eyeing them too!

    http://stylesprinter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the print! I have quite a few prints like that in my home already, but I'm always search for more.

    Amanda | http://www.poppyseeder.com/

    ReplyDelete