Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipsticks


Who the hell is Charlotte Tilbury and why are people so crazy about her? I used to wonder.


Boy was I ignorant at the time. It was through Zoella (in one of her many hauls) that I found out about the iconic British makeup artist. When I started blogging, I read so many other bloggers raving over her eyeshadows, lipsticks, and foundations. I admit, I did (and still do) find her packaging oh so luxurious (and expensive).

Recently, I've been seeing other bloggers going nuts about her Matte Revolution lipstick in Pillow Talk. Definitely not something that would flatter my skin tone, so I can see why a lot of the great reviews are from ladies with fairer skin. But the brand itself, especially the lipsticks, piqued my interest. I was looking for lipstick shades that would suit my fancy, searching images off of Google and Instagram for tan or deeper skinned women wearing the shades that I wanted. Finally, I settled on 2 shades: Birkin Brown & Walk of Shame. I ordered them from Nordstrom when I got my tax refund.

The Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipsticks are at $34 a pop, which isn't the most expesnive lipstick I ever bought (save that for a Chanel lipstick at $37), but that is definitely steep and not something I would purchase on a regular basis.

The packaging is gorgeous, and definitely worth showing off. Rose-gold luxury is the best way to describe it. As I twist the tube, I feel like an It Girl. The tip is square shaped, making it easy to apply and precise, without the need for a lipliner.

Birkin Brown is a medium chocolate brown, inspired by Jane Birkin and Naomi Campbell. This screams the 90's era. This looks great on all skin tones, and shows up as deeper brown. For those with fairer skin, it completes the ultimate grunge look. For women of color, this will actually show up on your lips and flatter your skin tone in the most beautiful way. Walk of Shame is a berry brownish red, a deeper version of my beloved MAC lipstick in Retro. So yes, my fellow tan skinned ladies can rock this as a my lips but better shade. Both shades are perfect for the fall, but Walk of Shame was inspired by Christina Hendricks and Margot Robbie.

Birkin Brown (above), Walk of Shame (below)

Birkin Brown

Walk of Shame

Both shades are extremely pigmented. The problem I have with these though, is that they are very drying. Well duh Hannah, what do you expect? They are matte. I can wear some matte lipsticks with ease, such as the Clinique Pop Matte Lip Colours, the MAC mattes, the Maybelline Color Sensational mattes, and the NYX soft matte lip creams with ease.  Even though I have severe dry mouth and dry lips, I am still able to make it work, because they still have a bit of moisture. The Matte Revolution lipsticks, however, are a whole different level of drying. They feel moisturizing at first, but within half an hour I can start to feel and see my lips flake and almost have a burning sensation. It's that bad. It sucks because other bloggers claim that even though it's matte, they still retain a velvety creamy formula and feel comfortable for them. According to the website, they even contain lipstick tree extract to protect the lips and orchid extract to sooth and hydrate. For me personally though, it feels like it does the complete opposite. If you have a chronic illness and take medications that cause dry mouth (which plaquenil does for me), I would be cautious before purchasing.

I will still wear these though, because it's such a shame to waste $68. I just have to do extreme lip care, such as exfoliating and wearing lip balm religiously. I would probably have to dab some lip balm throughout the day wearing this, and then reapply.

This disappointing review will not turn me off of Charlotte Tilbury though. I still want to try their other lipsticks, luxury eyeshadow palettes, and the Beauty Glow Instant Look in a Palette. Even if I will still continue to wear them (because I still find the shades beautiful), I just won't be purchasing new shades from the Matte Revolution line again.

Have you tried the Matte Revolution Lipsticks?
Would you recommend any of the lipsticks from the Hot Lips or K.I.S.S.I.N.G. line for someone with chronically dry lips? Because I am eyeing the shade Electric Poppy! (from the Hot Lips Line)

35 comments :

  1. Rose gold luxury indeed!! Such a beautiful tube! Too bad you are not pleased with them, it would be awful for an expensive lipstick to start flaking after a while and not feel nice on the lips.

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. If I am going to spend that much on a lipstick, it has to feel good. Which is why I love the NARS Audacious lipsticks!

      Delete
  2. I have Birkin Brown and love it, its a great browny shade I think!

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a helpful post, thank you! Dry lips are the bane of my life. I've been eying up the CT lipsticks for such a long time, but after reading this I think I need to start with one of the other formulas. I'm very lucky that I've got a counter fairly close to me. So I'll be able to try before I buy. I love both these shades on you! Xx

    Tania | When Tania Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, also - loving the new layout and header! Xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Yeah, I would try another one of their formulas. But they might not be too drying for you, so I encourage you to check it out! There is a Charlotte Tilbury inside my local Nordstrom, but the products are so limited!

      Delete
  4. I really like Walk of Shame! I don't find Pillow Talk to be very drying, but these might be a slightly different formula!

    Beauty From Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pillow Talk is also a Matte Revolution lipstick! I guess my lips are hopelessly dry!

      Delete
  5. Walk of Shame looks absolutely gorgeous on you! and girl, I just looked up Electric Poppy and I can only imagine how that would pop on your skin tone. I say go for it! Sorry it's so drying though.. I may wait a bit before trying the matte line then. xX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I heard Electric Poppy is just as drying though...

      Delete
  6. I SO need to try a Charlotte Tilbury lipstick - these look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    OMG I love darker red colours, got a slight habit of getting makeup regulars.
    And exploring with colours.
    Great read
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting and honest review. I've been hearing about this brand for awhile too, but have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Walk of Shame color, it's kind of sad that they are super drying. I found the Kylie liquid lipsticks to be very drying as well, although they aren't near the same price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. Any sort of liquid lipstick will dry and shrivel up your lips!

      Delete
  10. I love how honest your review is! I was actually thinking about purchasing a lipstick from this line but I think I might wait now that I know how drying they are. Can't wait to read more! :)

    xx, Lauren
    www.theteenrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  11. I really wish I wore lipstick as I've heard so many bloggers rave about Charlotte Tilbury products. They look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't stand drying lipsticks, the packaging and shades are both stunning though. Maybe try wearing it over a lip conditioner or balm maybe? Great review Hannah, hope you are having a brilliant day x

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin | Blog Sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do wear it over lip balm! I guess I have to reapply the lip balm and lipsticks every few hours!

      Delete
  13. I haven't tried any of her lipsticks as the hefty price tag does put me off. I find the same with a lot of lipsticks that unless I layer a lot of lip balm, they will get really drying (the Nuxe lip cream does help me quite a bit). You should definitely go for some from the other range if you like her products. Have a great weekend :) xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I have to check out the NUXE lip cream, thanks!

      Delete
  14. Walk of shame is such a gorgeous shade!

    Lauren x Huggled

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still yet to try any CT products but they're definitely on my wishlist! These shades are gorgeous xx

    Lucy | lucy-cole.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're both such gorgeous shades! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am LOVING on the Birkin Brown!!!!
    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no!!! I'm one of those people who find these lipsticks super comfortable to wear and not in the least drying, I'm so sorry they don't work for you. Electric Poppy has the same Matte Revolution formula so maybe you wanna skip that...
    http://carolinapage.eu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's such a shame that Electric Poppy is just as drying! It's such a gorgeous shade, but I already have enough hot pink lipsticks as it is, lol

      Delete
  19. These are such beautiful shades on you so it's a shame you find them too drying. I haven't actually tried this range but I have the same experience as you with matte lipsticks - some are absolutely fine and others are unwearable! x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have still yet to try CT. Birkin Brown is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everyone is going on about her! I really need to try some of her products! I hate to hear it didn't work for you, though!

    ReplyDelete