Best Bronzers for Medium/Tan Skin

Best Bronzers for Medium/Tan Skin

There are perks to being on the tan side. I don't sunburn easily...except for the one time I was in Maui 3 years ago, and laying by the pool. I was on the phone with Cecilio and I moved from our rented cabana to another chair under the sun so that my mom and sister wouldn't hear our conversation. It was hours since I applied sunblock and my back was exposed. The next day, my back was itching and peeling SO bad, I was crying during our tour to Hana road. I had to slap on aloe vera every few minutes, or so it seemed.

I have never set foot in a tanning bed. All of the self-tanning lotions I bought, I forgot about because I thought it was pointless. 


I do love a good bronzer though to give me a summery glow. Just because you have darker skin doesn't mean that you can't rock the bronzed goddess look. I will say that bronzers are nonexistent in Asian countries where fair skin is considered the beauty ideal. When I went to Manila, all I saw were skin whitening products and advertisements. Even my fellow Filipinas here in the US and Canada are sometimes concerned about getting too dark. That said, it is more accepted here to be a little bit tanner and I see ladies with my skin tone or darker embracing the beach bum look.

When I talk about bronzers, I am talking about both the matte cool-toned ones that are best for contouring and the more shimmery, summery types. I know, when I started getting more and more into makeup, I got confused between the two. I thought that you could contour with a warm-toned bronzer. I made the mistake of buying a Wet n Wild bronzer (when I was on 80 mg on prednisone and needed to sculpt my dreadful moonface), and kept wondering why it hardly showed up on my face...even when I kept piling it on.

If you have olive/medium/tan skin, here are the bronzers that were made for us:

bareMinerals Bare Skin Sheer Sun Serum
This liquid bronzer was just made for the summer. I wore this when I went to the State Fair last year in 90-something degree weather, and it seeps in with your skin rather than sitting on top of it (like with powder products). This gives you a naturally "I just spent a day at the pool" glow!

Benefit Dallas
This plum-brown bronzer can also be used as a blush. I always recommend this for ladies with my skin tone and to forget about Hoola, since it hardly shows up on our skin. It also comes with a contour brush that helps sculpt you.

Makeup Revolution Vivid Baked Bronzer (Rock on World)
This baked bronzer is infused with different shades and finely milled shimmers to give you a lovely glow that can be used for everyday wear or a glamorous night out.

Milani Baked Blush (Bellissimo Bronze)
Here is a warmer version of the Makeup Revolution baked bronzer, with tiny particles of shimmer. It's gives such a radiant finish! Beware that this is really pigmented, so use a kabuki brush to swipe all over. 

NYX Matte Bronzer (Medium)
I don't reach for this often, but this medium brown is great for contouring! It is affordable and pigmented, and beats some of the high end bronzers on the market

Too Faced Chocolate Soleil
This is not to be confused with the Milk Chocolate (which is for pale skin) or the Dark Chocolate Soleil. This shade is meant for medium/deep skin tones. Best of all, it smells like chocolate!

Elizabeth Mott Whatup Beaches Matte Bronzer
I received this as a sample from last month's ipsy glambag (which I ended up canceling). Out of all of the bronzers, this is the most cool toned, and the best for contouring. I haven't tried this yet and I can imagine that it is a struggle to contour with since it's so tiny.

The Balm Bahama Mama
Last but not least, my favorite (and most) contour bronzer! I also sometimes use it to bronze. It has the perfect pigmentation: not too little to where I have to keep building it up, and not too much to where I look like an oompa loompa.

Best Bronzers for Medium/Tan Skin
Top to Bottom: bareMinerals Bare Skin Sheer Sun Serum Bronzer, Benefit Dallas, Makeup Revolution Vivid Baked Bronzer (Rock on World), Milani Baked Blush (Bellissimo Bronze), NYX Matte Bronzer (Medium), Too Faced Chocolate Soleil, Elizabeth Mott Whatup Beaches Matte Bronzer, The Balm Bahama Mama

What is your favorite bronzer suited for your skin tone?

Best Bronzers for Medium/Tan Skin

9 comments :

  1. I love the earthly shades. I'm now getting into the whole beauty department, so I don't even know what a bronzer is used for. Ha!! Thanks for sharing. I've learnt something.

    http://missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is an impressive collection. I don't own that many bronzers and I would love to try the Milani one, I love the Milani blushes and I love how pigmented they are! x

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bronzers....I love the shades...xx, neha

    http://www.theinstylejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more with Too Faced Dark Chocolate Soleil, I am not a fan of Too Faced but I love that bronzer.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to try that Milani Baked Bronzer! It looks perfect for summer.

    www.thinkingofmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Chocolate Soleil and think it's a great bronzer, but I can only use it in the summer when I'm a little darker. This winter I've been using the UD Beached Bronzer in Sun-Kissed, which I think it's perfect for my light skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tips! Lovely photos ❀

    Do you wanna follow each other via GFC, Bloglovin or Instagram? Lemme know ♥
    * Blog de la Licorne *

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all so gorgeous! I need to try the Bare Minerals serum. It sounds unique :)

    xx
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's true what you say about bronzers here in the Philippines - they're nonexistent! But yeah, thanks to YouTube, local brands are finally coming up with their own bronzers and contouring products :) I'm glad that theBalm's Bahama Mama worked out for you but it broke me out so bad. Will definitely have to look into the other products in this list. x

    Caryl | Shimmer and Matte

    ReplyDelete