Wedding food tasting at Grange Restaurant

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant
Grange Restaurant in Sacramento, CA

I know, I know, another wedding post. Last week was quite the busy week for me, especially for planning. As I am typing this right now, we have 39 days left. My schedule last week went like this:

Sunday (1/29): Celebrating Cecilio's birthday with my future-in-laws
Monday (1/30): Cecilio's actual birthday
Tuesday (1/31): Taking 1-hour private dance lessons for our first dance
Wednesday (2/1): Meeting with our church wedding coordinators for the ceremony
Thursday (2/2): Our food tasting!

And that's not including DIY projects, receiving our RSVPs, finalizing our guest list, gathering addresses and information for our B-list guests, and searching for an apartment.

Last Thursday, we had our food tasting at Grange Restaurant, which is The Citizen Hotel's (our reception venue) very own restaurant. Grange is known for its fine dining and farm-to-fork menu, with ingredients no further than 150 miles from the region. Sacramento is the farm-to-fork capital of the US, so we take local fare very seriously. Grange's menu is seasonal, so our wedding coordinator Tina, emailed us the menu just last month to let us pick which foods we wanted to try. Our hotel only allows catering from Grange for weddings, which makes it convenient so we don't have to search for other caterers. However, it is not cheap. Even if you do a buffet style vs. plated style.

We brought my mom's boyfriend, Bart, my sister (matron of honor) Trixie, and Cecilio's parents. Unfortunately, my mom couldn't make it because she had a business trip. We sat with Tina, sampling delicious food for the reception while talking about our decor, logistics, and corkage (my mom and Bart are bringing a few cases of wine in addition to having our open bar).

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant, sacramento wedding

We first sampled the hor d'oeuvres: olive/cheese skewers, deviled eggs, mini grilled cheese sandwiches (with jam on top), and fried risotto balls.

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant, olive cheese skewers, deviled eggs, mini grilled cheese sandwiches, risotto balls



I have an affinity for deep-fried snacks, so naturally I loved the risotto balls. I also enjoyed the mini grilled cheese. I love olives, but I tend to steer clear from green olives because they are way too salty. While these olives were still salty, they weren't the saltiest I've tried, and the cheese balanced it out. Cecilio's parents loved it.

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant, carrot apple soup

For our reception, we can have either soup or salad, but not both. When I sent Tina the list of foods I wanted to try, I chose the carrot apple soup and the Caesar salad. Everyone went nuts over the soup! The Caesar salad was delicious too. Unfortunately, it had anchovies in the dressing, which Trixie is allergic to. Plus, it seemed like everyone loved the soup more anyway. It had the perfect blend of sweet and savory.

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant, wine

We were also served champagne, 2 different white wines and a red wine. Not that Cecilio cares because he doesn't drink. We will toast with champagne though, and we had champagne at an Italian restaurant when he proposed in NYC.

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant
My sister Trixie and I

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant, vegetable rice pilaf, maple roasted squash, creamy polenta, mashed potatoes
Our sides. Top: vegetable rice pilaf, maple roasted squash. Bottom: creamy polenta and mashed potatoes.

I was obsessed with the squash. I love vegetables (especially in the root or squash family) that are sweetened with maple or honey to add more flavor. It's almost like a dessert...but way healthier! I also loved the polenta. What can I say? I am crazy about Italian food. The rice pilaf was a hit among everyone. I liked it a lot, though it wasn't my favorite. I didn't try the mashed potatoes, but I heard it tasted really weird and tangy. As if someone poured lemon juice all over it.

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant
Cecilio and I

Now, onto the stars of the show: the main entrees. We will be having 3 entrees for our reception, one of which will be a vegetarian dish.

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant, wild atlantic salmon
Wild Atlantic Salmon

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant, farmstead pork loin
Farmstead Pork Loin

Grange restaurant, grange restaurant sacramento, sacramento farm to fork, sacramento restaurant, wild mushroom risotto
Wild mushroom risotto

I didn't try the salmon, but I found the pork loin and risotto outstanding. Another vegetarian option that was served to us was lasagna, but ultimately we went with the risotto. The mushrooms were gummy and just went so well with the creamy risotto.

Our reception will have a buffet style dinner instead of plated. Among every dish we tasted, we had to pick 2 hor d'oeuvres, 1 soup or salad, 2 sides, and 3 entrees. The winning contenders were:

Hor D'oeuvres
Olive/cheese skewers
Petit grilled cheese

Soup/salad option
Carrot apple soup

Sides
Vegetable rice pilaf
Maple-roasted squash

Entrees
Wild Atlantic Salmon
Farmstead Pork Loin
Wild Mushroom Risotto

And of course, we cannot forget dessert. Cecilio and I had our cake/dessert bar tasting in August. You can read more about it here :)

If somehow you find yourself in Sacramento (the redheaded step-sibling of SF and LA), you have got to try Grange Restaurant. "To die for" is an understatement. With fresh, local ingredients, lovely presentation, and excellent service, your mouth will be watering.

12 comments :

  1. Omg, the food looks so delicious and so many options! Food tasting is one of the best parts of planning a wedding :)

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, happy belated birthday to Cecilo! Also, all the food looks absolutely amazing and I'd struggle to choose, I think! I have a weak spot for salmon, though, and that wild atlantic salmon looks absolutely scrumptious! Good luck with all the planning, hun, you are really on the home stretch now! So excited for your big day. :) <3

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone loved the salmon from what I heard. Thank you so much, it's been busy, but fun. :)

      Delete
  3. The food looks insane and super yummy!! Have a great week :)

    Trishna xx

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  4. Wow the food looks very impressive, so exciting! x
    A Blushing Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food looks and sounds incredible, soso lovely! Just spotted the Chronic Illness Bloggers banner in your sidebar, I would be so interested to join :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! And you can register here:
      http://chronicillnessbloggers.com/register-2/

      Delete
  6. Hope Cecilio had a lovely birthday! My goodness, the food looked soooo delicious lovely. I remember when we did our wedding day food tasting. Awww, the memories :)
    Sooooo excited for you!!! You will be such a gorgeous bride & most importantly it's the marriage with the love of your life you're after :)
    Lots of love your way, sweetie <3
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I was in a food coma afterwards. And I am so so excited and can't believe how close its getting :)

      Delete
  7. Haha good thing I ate already because these dishes look amazing. I was reading through like "ah, the grilled cheese looks good. I'll mention that was my fave. Wait. Rice pilaf! What's that next to it, that looks really good too." And on and on lol. I hope Cecilio had a great birthday and the rest of the planning goes smoothly :)

    Sam | My Beauty Cloud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was maple-roasted squash, it was one of my favorites! Our coordinator will tell the chefs that I want an abundance of it, though we will have a buffet, they will serve it to Cecilio and my table :)

      Delete