Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil, smash box primer oil, smashbox

I don't like it when my makeup looks cakey. You can have the most expensive primers, foundations, and powders, but if you don't use proper skincare, there's no point of spending all that money on makeup. This year, I am trying to focus more on taking care of my skin. But when I read about the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil, I was intrigued. A skincare and a makeup product rolled in a bottle?! Wow!


I added this to my birthday beauty wishlist, and Cecilio, being the most awesome future-husband-to-be there is in the world, gifted it to me. He also bought me 3 of the MAC eyeshadows I wanted (Humid, Espresso, and Sketch), the Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick, and the LUSH bath bomb.

This oil is $42 for a 1 oz. bottle and you can purchase it at Ulta, Sephora, or Macy's. It contains 15 essential and plant oils that nourish and rejuvenate your skin.

15 oils?! Wow. Here are the ingredients:

Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Tocopherol, Anogeissus Leiocarpus Bark Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract / Extrait D'orge, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Calophyllum Inophyllum (Tamanu) Seed Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Rosa Canina (Rose) Fruit Oil, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Seed Oil, Cholesterol, Water / Aqua / Eau, Polysorbate 60, Linoleic Acid, Linalool, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate.

Here are the rundown of the 15 oils and their beauty benefits.

Sweet almond oil: Containing Vitamin E, sweet almond oil protects your skin from oxidative stress and UV rays, and keeps your skin soft.

Apricot kernel oil: Gentle for sensitive skin and dry skin. Apricot kernel oil locks in moisture, and often used as a massage oil.

Jojoba seed oil: Moisturizes skin and controls acne and oily skin. Great news for oily-skinned ladies: you can use this too!

Sunflower seed oil: Controls acne, eczema, redness and irritation of the skin.

Bark extract: Protects against aging and prevents dark spots from popping up.

Coffee extract: Moisturizes skin, produces natural collagen, reduces inflammation of puffy eyes. (yay!)

Barley extract: Controls acne, sebum, and lightens the skin.

Wheat germ extract: Protects against aging, moisturizes skin, keeps oil at bay, and prevents scarring.

Argan oil: Moisturizes skin, controls oil, exfoliates, tones, lightens stretch marks and scars.

Tamanu seed oil: Treats acne, eczema, psoriasis along with diminishing dark spots, stretch marks, and rashes.

Matricaria flower oil: Calms sensitive skin.

Lavender oil: Heals scarring, restores skin, reduces acne and wrinkles.

Evening primrose oil: Also heals eczema. Evening Primrose Oil hydrates and nourishes the skin, and boosts blood circulation to perk up dull skin and eyes.

Rosehip oil: Prevents anti-aging and wrinkles, soothes skin, and restores elasticity.

Raspberry seed oil: Since it is high in Vitamin E, revents oxidative activity, thus preventing cancer. Repairs skin damage from the sun.

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil, smash box primer oil, smashbox

As you can see, this is a power oil in a bottle. It comes in a dropper applicator, so I like to squeeze 3–4 drops on my hand, touch it with my opposite fingers and pat all over my face, Then I massage my face. I love using this at night after applying moisturizer and going to bed, and waking up with soft, baby's bum skin. I cannot stop touching my skin when I use this (although that is a really bad habit).

As for using it as a makeup primer? It's ok if you're using liquid foundation. I don't find it any better than other primers, except that maybe it is a little bit pore-blurring. Just don't use this under a cream foundation: I tried applying the Bobbi Brown Stick Foundation over it and it was a bust! It was so slippery and I had to keep reapplying, and it was still thin. Then when it became time to remove my makeup, there was hardly any foundation on the wipes or cotton balls.

I would highly recommend this for an extra boost and glow for your skincare routine. As a dry-skinned gal, this has been a godsend. But this works wonders for those with oily skin as well. If you are oily-skinned, don't avoid oil or moisturizer, because lack of it can cause your body to produce more oil (weird, I know?!)

Do you have the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil?
What are your favorite beauty oils?

5 comments :

  1. This thing should be marketed as a normal facial oil instead of a primer. I got a sample of this and I threw it away after using it a few times, not a fan at all.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to try it, it sounds interesting.

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/makeup-aficionado-14629679

    https://au.pinterest.com/bernadette_95/

    https://www.instagram.com/themakeupaficionado17/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been interested in trying this out. Thanks for the review! I love glowy skin so I'll have to try it out :)

    xx
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is interesting but it never appealed to me for some reason although I love love facial oil. I think because it's market as a primer why I don't like it. Great review! x

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received this oil as a sample from Ipsy. I'm still yet to try it though...

    ReplyDelete