It's getting real—Our wedding invitations!

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding, reception card

Hey ladies! How has everything been?! I've been trying to make room for blogging but now that Cecilio and I are less than 2 months out before our wedding, we've been crazy busy.

February will be packed with paying our final dues for our vendors, more DIY projects, private tasting for the food we will serve, buying gifts for our entourage, getting our marriage license, private dance lessons for our first dance, meetings with vendors, waiting for RSVPs to roll in (our deadline is on February 15, our 8-year anniversary!), picking up my dress from alterations, and my bridal shower. Oh yeah, and finding a place to live. 

But first, I want to show you guys the invitations that I've slaved over since last month, and we just mailed them today (YAY!)



I started out drafting a few layouts last month in black and white, and then adding color before New Year's. I created the invitation, reception card, map, and RSVP card. They were all created on Adobe Illustrator.

Usually there's an accommodations card to tells guests where hotel room blocks have been reserved, but we did not have that because our wedding happened to fall on the same weekend as March Madness high school basketball tournaments, and all of the rooms in our hotel was completely blocked. Anyway, most of our out of town guests will be staying with my mom and Bart, or my sister and her family. There will be a few that will be checking into other hotels nearby.

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding, reception card

I was intimidated to do the map/directions card as I never designed a map before. But I took a screenshot of directions from our church to the hotel on Google Maps, printed it out, and traced it. Cecilio helped me on the directions. Since Midtown/Downtown Sacramento streets are in a grid layout, this made it a lot easier to design.

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding, wedding map, wedding directions card

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding, wedding map, wedding directions card

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding, wedding map, wedding directions card

Usually wedding invitations have 3 envelopes: an outer envelope (which is what you mail to), the inner envelope (which indicates who exactly is invited), and the RSVP envelope (for the guests to mail back to you). I did not want an inner envelope because it would cost more money to buy it themselves and it would make everything heavier, plus spending on extra postage. A lot of brides are eschewing the inner envelope in favor of belly bands. I found this belly band tutorial on Pinterest here, and created my own version:

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding, wedding map, wedding directions card, wedding reception card, wedding rsvp card, wedding envelope

I bought cardstock paper from Michael's and designed the labels on Illustrator to indicate the guests name (s) per envelope. I printed them out using my large format printer (Canon PIXMA-PRO 100) and cut each and every one with the X-acto knife. The tutorial I followed called for using a 1/8" hole punch and 1/2" ribbon. I bought the ribbon but felt that was way too wide and hard to thread into a tiny hole, so I went and bought 2 more packs of the 1/4" ribbon, which is what you see above. At first, I started cutting, punching holes, threading, tying and stacking the invitations and enclosure cards. But Cecilio was insisting to help. I eventually let him help by threading the ribbon into the holes of the label and tying it into the invitation. before he would tie the knot (no pun intended) in the back, I would stick my finger in the knot to make sure it was secure. With his help, invitations and cards were more secure than when I did it myself! While he was threading and tying, I was cutting labels, punching holes, stacking the cards in order, and putting them in the envelopes.

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding

I am pretty proud of our work, and once my mom saw the final product, she fell in love with it.

This was a huge commitment, and I feel relieved now that it's been mailed off. And getting things in order was stressful: I sent the invitation/map/RSVP/reception cards to a local printshop, Minuteman Press in Midtown Sacramento. Our RSVP deadline was supposed to be February 9, but Cecilio suggested that I change it to a later date because we wouldn't have been able to mail them in time and people would not have had time to figure out if they would be able to come or not. So I changed it to February 15, and emailed the print shop the new version. They accidentally printed out the February 9 version. AND, I sent them the wrong version of the map card, which was wider than the invitation. There was no way it would've fit in our envelope. We were such a bundle of nerves and stress-balls as we were attempting to assemble it. And I was going to use thick gold paper that I bought, cut and folded as the belly band, and it turned out to not fit in the envelope! So you can imagine how stressed out we were. (now that it's getting closer, there's more to do and I admit I've been more snippy, but trying not to unleash the inner Bridezilla) 

When I told Cecilio that I accidentally gave the print shop the old map, he was telling me how I need to be careful and pay more attention. At first, I was offended because it felt like the same type of lecture my mom gives me. Though being more organized and detail-oriented is something I am definitely working on. So I emailed the print shop the new (smaller) version of the map cards and the February 15 version of the RSVP card. Since he made a mistake on the RSVP card, he didn't charge me for it and he gave me a 20% discount on my mistake. So it all worked out really well in the end.

Oh, and here's the save-the-date postcards we sent back in October:

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding, save the date wedding

wedding invitations, sacramento wedding, save the date wedding



Now? It's time for other DIY projects: Snapchat filters, table number designs, programs, the card suitcase box, welcome signs, hashtag signs, and the seating chart. I am thankful to be able to take a breather since this is the biggest project I have done during the course of planning.

Thanks for allowing me to share these special moments with you guys.

10 comments :

  1. Congratulations! Hope you have a wonderful wedding! The invites look amazing!

    Darriyan xo
    www.darriyancateland.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, these have turned out beautifully! You're so talented :)

    Claire | Vanity Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! The invitation looks nice and creative. Wishing you all the best.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! Beautiful invitations :)

    I actually found you through google images looking up colourpop swatches. Do you consider yourself olive toned? If so, I'd love to know what your favorite lip products are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would say I'm tan/olived toned. As much as I love the shades of the ColourPop liquid lipsticks, I hate how drying they are. My favorite shades are Avenue, Bumble, Tulle and Lyin' King (the Ultra Satin one) :)

      Delete
  5. YES!!!! they are PERFECT!!!! TONIGHT WAS THE NIGHT! SO STOKED FOR YOU BOTH! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is shocking news in the sports betting world.

    It's been said that any bettor must watch this,

    Watch this or stop betting on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Advanced Sports Betting Software.

    ReplyDelete