The PERFECT holiday lip in every formula

red lipstick, holiday makeup, holiday beauty, red lips, revlon, revlon colorburst lip butter, revlon lip butter, revlon candy apple, nyx, nyx cosmetics, nyx butter gloss, nyx red velvet, urban decay, urban decay vice lipstick, urban decay rocksteady, urban decay gwen stefani, clinique, clinique pop matte primer, clinique icon pop, kat von d, kat von d liquid lipstick, kat von d everlasting liquid lipstick, kat von d project chimps

I don't know about you guys, but I immediately think of red lips when holiday glam makeup comes to mind. I always look to Pinterest for Holiday or Valentines makeup ideas that DON'T involve a red lip...and honestly, it doesn't feel right to go nude. Even though I understand it's to balance out your smoky eye and sharp contour. Plus, I rocked Stila's All Day Liquid Lipstick in Bacca during my Christmas party last week, and while it's not that classic punchy red, this berry shade made me feel festive. Close enough, right?

In one of my upper division graphic design classes, we learned about semiotics (the study of signs and symbols, and their interpretation): the signifier and the signified. The signifier is the object/subject that give the word meaning (ex: the word or the image), and the signified is the concept or meaning behind the object. For example: the word, Christmas is the signifier. When you think of the word Christmas, you usually think of the colors red, green, white and gold (the signified). So to be more specific, the word "holiday makeup", is the signifier, and it's natural to think of gold glittery eyeshadow and bold red lips. Those are the signified elements behind holiday makeup.

Anyway, back to the main topic of this post :) You've seen so many "holiday red lipsticks" post, but have you considered the different formulas beside the matte lip? It's not for everyone, but there are so many other options there that are just as bold, pigmented, yet more comfortable. It may be more annoying to reapply, but it's better than baring flaky lips to other party goers.

Here is a list of my favorite red lip products, one in each formula:


red lipstick, holiday makeup, holiday beauty, red lips, revlon, revlon colorburst lip butter, revlon lip butter, revlon candy apple, nyx, nyx cosmetics, nyx butter gloss, nyx red velvet, urban decay, urban decay vice lipstick, urban decay rocksteady, urban decay gwen stefani, clinique, clinique pop matte primer, clinique icon pop, kat von d, kat von d liquid lipstick, kat von d everlasting liquid lipstick, kat von d project chimps
Top to Bottom: Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter (Candy Apple), NYX Butter Gloss (Red Velvet), Urban Decay Vice (Rocksteady), Clinique Pop Matte + Primer (Icon Pop), Kat von D (Project Chimps)

Tinted Balm: Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter (Candy Apple)
Revlon's lip butters are one of the most comfortable drugstore lip products. The pigmentation of a creamy lipstick and the formula of a lip balm?! At an affordable price?! It almost sounds too good to be true. It has been said that the lip butters are dupes of Too Faced La Creme lipsticks, only with less shades and not as cute packaging. Anyway! This shade, Candy Apple, is a fun bright red with orange undertones. When faded from drinking all of the eggnog, it will still leave a sexy stain.

Gloss: NYX Butter Gloss (Red Velvet)
I am in love with NYX for their affordability, adorable packaging, and of course, their butter glosses. While I am not a fan of their nude and baby pink shades (the color hardly shows up on my lips), I loooove their deeper shades. Especially their magentas, reds and berries. Red Velvet is no exception. This deep red wine is bold on its own, or over a lipstick for an extra lip plumping effect.

Cream/Satin: Urban Decay (Rocksteady)
Rocksteady, this blue-ish red, was originally a part of Urban Decay's Gwen Stefani lipstick collection before it discontinued. But fear not! It is a permanent addition to the Urban Decay Vice collection, which is cheaper at $17 vs. the older lipsticks at $22. The blue tones will make your teeth look whiter and brighter in photos! Be careful though, this bleeds easily. Lipliner is your best friend with this lipstick. Or if you want to make it matte, you can pat translucent powder or Smashbox Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer.

Velvet Matte: Clinique Pop Matte + Primer (Icon Pop)
Not all matte lipsticks are as drying as Death Valley. Some of them have a softer, more forgiving formula, yet still lasts through the night. And this is why I recommend the Clinique Pop Matte Lip Colour + Primer in the shade Icon Pop, which is described as a deep classic red. It reminds me of Old Hollywood meets Holiday Glam. If you want something brighter, I recommend the shade Peppermint Pop.

To me, a "Super Matte" lipstick is associated with MAC's Retro Mattes, Urban Decay's Mega Mattes and most liquid lipsticks. They are the most drying and require a lot of prep and maintenance. But once they are applied, they do not touch your mug, and only the oiliest dishes will erase them. Kat Von D's liquid lipstick in Project Chimps is not the classic bright red, but it's still lovely and works well on all skin tones. Since Kat Von D's liquid lipsticks last very long, feel free to wear this when you kiss under the mistletoe ;)

What red lipsticks are you rocking this season?

20 comments :

  1. Nyx Butter Gloss in Red Velvet is absolutely amazing!!! Love the pinkish tone in it, I will add it on my wishlist! A girl cannot have enough red lipsticks, right!!

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we never can have enough, especially with the different formulas, undertones and occasions :)

      Delete
  2. I love the colour of the Kat Von D lipstick! It also looks so glossy, I haven't tried any of her lipsticks and I do really want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have beautiful lipsticks. I think her products are in the UK now so get a hold of her products if you can!

      Delete
  3. I'm a matte girl, so I am loving the look of the the clinique one and the Kat Von D lip colours, so stunning, and love the formula already of both :)

    Erin || MakeErinOver || Happy Blogmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful! I am loving the new Clinique matte lipsticks!

      Delete
  4. I am so impressed with this post! I have heard great things about the Stila All Day Liquid Lips and Kat Von D, cannot beat a matte! I would love a similar post for all budgets instead of all finishes, I think that would be awesome. I am not a red lipstick person but even I can appreciate how awesome and kickass it looks especially this time of year! Great post xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea to create a post for lipsticks of all budgets. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. The nyx butter gloss looks gorgeous!

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all these but the revlon one is my fav ! the formula is just amazing and the price is crazy affordable !

    http://www.clairetalksbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I desperately need a Kat Von D liquid lipstick becasue nothing's better than a matte lip colour but that tinted balm looks great for a more neutral colour.

    www.3llablogs.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I would definitely say that the Revlon lip butter is also the most suitable for day-to-day wear :)

      Delete
  8. I love this post! Everyone has different formula preferences so there's bound to be something for everyone on this list :) The NYX butter gloss looks absolutely perfect for me!

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to try the Pop mattes, I love the original Pop lipsticks! The Revlon butter looks beautiful as well x

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love the Pop mattes. They are super opaque!

      Delete
  10. I really love the shades you picked! I love red lipsticks that have cooler tone on them, and your choices are just perfect! I don't use red/ dark lipsticks for everyday, but December is always an exception. Right now I am loving Wet n Wild Cherry Picking (they are super cheap and long lasting!) and Kissproof #10.

    - Gretch of GGmemochou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love the Wet-N-Wild lipsticks! I think I had Cherry Picking too. Great lipsticks at great prices!

      Delete