2016 Beauty Favorites

2016 Beauty Favorites, Too Faced Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar, Becca Backlight Priming Filter Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, L'Oreal True Match Lumi, Too Faced Peanut Butter & Jelly Palette, Anastasia Beverly Hills Bahama Mama, ELF Blush Palette, NARS Dolce Vita, BECCA Opal, Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder, L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara, Rimmel Scandal Eyes Retro Glam Mascara, ABH Craft, ABH Catnip, ABH Kathryn, Milani Bellissimo Bronze, Benefit Precisely my Brow, OPI I'm SOOO Swamped, Marc Jacobs Highliner Crayon

I only had December Favorites for my first year of blogging here. For 2015, I had just the roundup of my beauty favorites here, as I will be doing for 2016. Honestly, I did not expect to buy as much makeup as I did (oops!), but working across the mall helped me get into Sephora's VIB Rouge status. I am thankful that Cecilio has no qualms about my collection, as some men are a bit controlling about what their girlfriends/wives' expenses...but I know that I will not be able to buy as much makeup once we are married and have to pay rent and our own expenses. I will spend once in a while as long as I manage it well. If anything, we laugh about my collection and he says "I know you're just spending to get all of this out of your system before we get married"...in the way some brides and grooms have bachelor/bachelorette parties to celebrate their last moment of freedom (with strippers involved)...no thank you for me. We are thrilled to spend our lives together.

I couldn't just pick one product for each category! Ready to grab a cup of coffee as you read through, and possibly get tempted for more beauty products than needed? Okay.


Primer: BECCA Backlight Priming Filter
I only had the Play! by Sephora subscription boxes for 4 months, but I cancelled it because I wasn't happy with most of the products I was getting. This was one of the very few products I loved. It smoothed my skin and looked amazing under the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, and gave me the radiant, semi-dewy look I was going for. 

Foundation: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk / L'Oreal True Match Lumi
Ever since I purchased the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk (6.5), that was basically all I talked about it in this blog. You see, I was thinking of doing my own wedding makeup, and I was researching for the perfect foundation that would photograph beautifully, not make me look caked-up, and last long. This foundation had all of the qualities (and a hefty price tag!) I ended up hiring a makeup artist, but I use this all for a lot of parties and whenever there is going to be a lot of photographs. I even wore this for my engagement photo session!

I have tried L'Oreal True Match Lumi for the first time in 2014 and I loved it, but I bought it in the wrong shade. I finally ended up purchasing MY shade (W6), and it's still my favorite drugstore foundation. It evens my skin tone, gives me medium-full coverage, goes well with my dry skin, and has SPF!

Concealer: NYX Dark Circle (Light) / NYX HD (Green)
Sometimes I wonder why I spent so much money on high end concealers when the NYX concealers I have are just as good, if not better. The NYX Dark Circle hides my dark circles so well, and it doesn't crease! And I love the NYX HD green concealer because I have a lot of redness on my nose and some on my cheeks. I pat a few small dots before I apply foundation and viola! Redness be gone!

Translucent Powder: Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder
I have always been afraid to use translucent powders because I don't want to look white in photos or look caked up if I apply it wrong. But the Laura Mercier powder gives me a natural look and as long as I don't apply too much, it photographs wonderfully.

2016 Beauty Favorites, Too Faced Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar, Too Faced Peanut Butter and Jelly Palette, Anastasia Beverly Hills Master Palette by Mario

Eyeshadow Palettes: Too Faced Semi-Sweet / Too Faced Peanut Butter & Jelly / Anastasia Beverly Hills Master Palette by Mario
I purchased the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar in 2015 and somehow I reach for this whenever I travel. I have brought this with me to New York, Hawaii, Wisconsin and Illinois. And you can see how much I put a dent in some of the shades. No matter how many palettes I buy, I always reach back for this. The gold and bronze tones flatter my skin tone and make my dark brown eyes pop more than the Orginal Chocolate Bar. 

I also loved the Peanut Butter and Jelly Palette for the packaging, and for the fact that it was inspired by the Semi-Sweet's shade Peanut Butter. Oh yeah, I traveled with this palette too when I went to Newport Beach in April.

The ABH Master Palette by Mario has a place in my heart as well. It has neutrals with pops of jewel tones, but it's lively. Not at all boring. Okay, you can tell how much I love a palette when I bring it on trips. This was the palette I brought with me during my LA trip with Cecilio.


Eyebrows: Benefit Precisely, My Brow
This was recommended to me by the lady to waxed my brows at the Macy's Benefit Brow Bar in Arden Fair Mall. I'm glad she did, because I love the thin, precise (no pun intended) application. It gives me a natural look and it's easy to use. Using it makes the outer part of my brow sharp and clean.

2016 Beauty Favorites, L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara, Rimmel Scandal Eyes Retro Glam Mascara

Mascara: Rimmel Scandal Eyes Retro Glam / L'Oreal Voluminous
Dare I say that I like this dupe of the Too Faced Better than Sex mascara better? I feel like this is more thickening, yet a third of the price. L'oreal Voluminous is another favorite of mine well, though...surprisingly, not as thick as the Rimmel mascara!

Eyeliner: Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Crayon / Kat Von D Tattoo
I've only had the Marc Jacobs eyeliner for a month (I got it as a late birthday present), but it is my absolute favorite pencil/gel eyeliner. I've searched high and low for a pencil liner that I can wear for my lower lashes and not smudge or fade, and this totally fit the bill. For liquid liners, I choose Kat Von D Tattoo hands down. I prefer the super-thin, pen applicator vs. the brush for liquid liners because it's way easier for me to use.

ELF Blush Palette, The Balm Bahama Mama, NARS Dolce Vita, BECCA Opal

Blush: ELF Blush Palette (Dark) and NARS (Dolce Vita)
The ELF blush palette is only $6, but I prefer it to some of my higher end blushes. They are all extremely pigmented, and work wonderfully on my skin tone. I just wish ELF made more blush shades, because I would totally get them in a heartbeat. For an everyday blush, I love NARS Dolce Vita. The dusty rose shade is beautiful for all seasons!

Contour: The Balm Bahama Mama
This is my go to for contouring. The packaging is adorable, and it is pigmented! I have made a pretty deep dent in this, though I haven't hit pan...yet.

Bronzer: Milani Baked Blush (Bellissimo Bronze)
Though this is technically a blush, I used this as a bronzer during the summer. I love the shimmer, multidimensional textures, and mix of tones that give me a beach bunny glow!

Highlighter: BECCA (Opal)
If 2015 was my year of Champagne Pop, then 2016 was all about Opal. This is more finely milled and more suitable for an everyday look vs. a night out. I remember buying something at Sephora and one of the ladies, who has my skin tone, had this GORGEOUS highlighter on her. I asked her what it was and she said it was Opal. 

2016 Beauty Favorites, Anastasia Beverly Hills Kathryn, Anastasia Beverly Hills Catnip, Anastasia Beverly Hills Craft, ABH Kathryn, ABH Craft, ABH Catnip

Lip Gloss: NARS (Dolce Vita)
Finally, a neutral pink lip gloss that actually shows up on my lips and doesn't look sheer! Well, Dolce Vita is more of a dusty rose. But I am amazed with how beautifully it looks on my skin tone and its pigmentation!

Lipstick: MAC (Retro)
With the amount of times I have talked about this lipstick, I am surprised that I haven't emptied it. Well, I'm close. Long story short, I thought I lost it and had to buy a new one. But it turns out that I had my old one the whole time! I wore this on my graduation, during job interviews, everyday errands, and even during my engagement photo session!

Liquid Lipstick: Anastasia Beverly Hills (Catnip, Craft, Kathryn)
I've had mad love for the Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipsticks (and lip glosses!) this year. They have so many beautiful shades that go oh-so well with my skin tone. Among my favorites are Catnip (medium pink plum), Craft (warm deep berry), and Kathryn (rosy pink). 

Nail Polish: OPI (I'm sooo Swamped!)
In addition to buying a lot of makeup, I grew a nail polish collection. One of my favorite's was OPI's I'm sooo swamped, a bright yellow-green shade. It is a fun shade and I wore it for St. Patrick's Day.

2016 Beauty Favorites, Viva la Juicy

Fragrance: Juicy Couture (Viva La Juicy)
I usually don't like overly sweet scents, but this has just the right amount of sweetness and floral notes. This is my signature summer scent. And it lasts forever too!


Here are the reviews of my favorite products listed:


My Concealer Collection (for NYX Dark Circle and NYX Green HD concealers)










2016 Beauty Favorites, ratese, maltese mix, rat terrier mix, maltese rat terrier mix

I hope you guys had a wonderful 2016 and may you be filled with peace, love and blessings for 2017.

What were your absolute must have products for 2016?

7 comments :

  1. Great favourites! Really want to try Luminous Silk, everyone seems to love it, thanks for sharing. Hope you had an awesome Christmas xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so bummed the PB&J palette never made it to Italy. It looks like a very nice set of shades!
    The list of my 2016 favorites is endless, but my favorite favorite lipstick would probably be the Clinique Pop Matte in Rose Pop, and my favorite palettes the Victoria Beckham x Estée Lauder one and the Chanel quad from the Le Rouge collection.
    I hope you had a nice Christmas and I wish you an amazing New Year!
    http://carolinapage.eu

    ReplyDelete
  3. That L'Oreal foundation sounds amazing, I love a luminous finish for my dry skin! The Master Palette is probably my favorite of this year x

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the L'Oreal foundation. I totally want to pick up that Armani one, too since my skin is so dry right now. Really love that LM powder as well! x

    Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many gorgeous products! I need to use my Bahama Mama more!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, congratulations on the engagement!

    To be honest, I have no idea about primers/concealers/powders/foundation. I just use BB cushion/ BB cream and that's it.

    I've got to agree with almost everything else though, I love ABH liquid lipsticks, and MAC Retro lipsticks. And I don't wear blush, but by looking, I gotta agree, your Nars blush is such a pretty shade!

    And your eyeshadow palettes are gorgeous! I only have Naked 2, I usually prefer colourpop/etude house eyeshadows with individual containers, but I've been looking at online shops and I keep thinking how beautiful the palettes are and I should get one for myself but I just can't choose and somehow I'm always holding back. Haha.

    Happy holidays! I hope you have a wonderful new year!

    -Gretch of GG Memochou

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many gorgeous products! There's not one item here that I also own and don't completely love. Nars Dolce Vita is such a gorgeous shade, I've reached for my Semi-Sweet palette loads this past month and I am in love with the shade of Becca's Opal! I definitely need to pick up the L'Oreal True Match Lumi and have a look at the NYX Correctors. Your dog is so cute too! Xx

    Tania | When Tania Talks

    ReplyDelete