My first experience with eyelash extensions


Now, during my 2 years of beauty blogging, I have not done a single review about mascara. Sure, I would round up my favorite mascara in any of my monthly favorites post, but I have not gone on an in-depth review and analysis. Maybe because I find it easier to swatch a lipstick, and test it out all day. And there are so many mascara wands that it overwhelms me. Finally, I have felt like I could not take an good photo of my lashes (the selfie mode for the iPhone is terrible for detailed shots). Until I learned a trick from Youtube star Chrisspy (I can't find the video): basically, for detailed eye shots, you take a photo of your eye, but you're not doing it in selfie mode. Instead, you have a mirror in front of you, and you take a picture of your eye with that mirror. The photos above are taking with my iPhone 5C in front of my Tartelette in Bloom Palette mirror.

I don't wear false lashes either. I did one time for Halloween last year, and I think I did a good job putting them on for the first time, although it became loose by the end of the night. I'd just rather wear a really, really good mascara like Too Faced Better than Sex or L'Oreal Voluminous. I did try false lashes during my wedding makeup trial and I loved it.

As you can see, I'm not a big eyelash person. I love mascara but I don't go crazy about it the way I do with lipstick. Yet I want to make my eyes pop even more. Oh, the dilemma. So when my mom's boyfriend Bart gifted us a voucher deal to get eyelash extensions, I jumped at the offer.


Let me tell you, they are not cheap. A full set of individual eyelash extensions are $140 per person, but because of the Livingsocial deal, Bart prepaid it and it cost $70 each for my mom and I. They ARE semi-permanent false lashes that last for 2 weeks. The lady who does the eyelash extensions name is Cristal of Cristaleyes Eyelash Extensions. She has her own studio in one of those house-converted business offices in Midtown Sacramento.

I set up an appointment with Cristal to have my eyelashes done. She calls me the next day to let me know that she has not been able to get her medium lashes shipped (which is what I would've wanted) on the day of my appointment. So I was stuck with the choice of short or long lashes. Short lashes would've made it feel not worth it, so I opted for the long lashes.

I walked into Cristal's studio on Friday, with her getting ready. I laid down on the massage table, and she had me close my eyes since she was going to tape my lower lashes so that she doesn't accidentally glue the lashes to them. I closed my eyes for a whole hour while she attached each lash right next to my natural lashes. It felt weird at first, but I got used to it and even took a nap for a few minutes during the session. When she was done, I looked in the mirror and was shocked at what I saw. I looked like a doll! And it was hitting my glasses, making it really hard to see and drive back home!

I would say that I have gotten used to it a few days later. After sleeping with them and just plain living, they got more of a curl so they don't hit my glasses as much. Also, they look much better when I am wearing a full face of makeup. It complements and competes my face, and I don't look like a doll as much.


I could wear mascara, but I choose not to for the convenience and my lashes are already pretty dramatic. I do not wish to attempt my winged liner with these. I had a really hard time applying eyeshadow on my lid. I have to be extra careful in the shower, and I definitely cannot use oil-based cleansers. Which is fine because I use micellar water to remove makeup anyway. They last for 2 weeks, and you can either get them removed naturally or professionally. I would just let nature take it's course, because I would feel bad to get it removed professionally and not spend more money on maintenance. I've been tempted to pull them out, but I can't because that means I would have no more natural lashes!

If all of this sounds negative, I assure you that it has its perks: I don't have to wear mascara! And, it truly does make my eyes stand out and my eyeshadow pop. In the photo above, I am wearing the ABH Master Palette by Mario. I was just taken aback the moment I saw myself in the mirror since I was not used to it.

I would definitely not do this regularly as it will burn a hole in my wallet, and it is an extra hassle. But for a special occasion or once in a blue moon as a treat, I totally would. I'm contemplating of doing this for my wedding.

Have you ever had eyelash extensions before?

10 comments :

  1. Oh my god girl, I'm totally in love with your eyelashes, they look amazing! :) I love, LOVE wearing false eyelashes myself, especially the really dramatic ones, haha! Never considered going for semi-permanent extensions, though. I'm happy to just stick to regular falsies, I think - so I can take them off whenever they're too inconvenient, plus I enjoy wearing different types depending on the occasion. They did feel a little uncomfortable at first, but you definietly do get used to it! And I think that the final result is surely worth it, the effect is absolutely stunning! I can see that this option is a little more expensive than I'd like, but like you said - good for special occasions, for sure! :) x Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts, lovely. <3 You look gorgeous! xoxo

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what a difference eyelashes make, you look so glam with them like you don't even need anything else. I do love eyeshadow so that would be a major downfall for me, also I hear they shed oddly so can look gappy after a while. Overall, love the effect. Think it's a great idea for holidays or a special event, thanks for sharing x

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried lash extensions before and after being stuck with stumps for a number of years, I don't know if I would be able to get used to them. However, yours look amazing and it makes the thought very tempting!

    Abby Talks

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great!
    I considered getting eyelash extensions in the past, but never actually did because I was too afraid they'd damage my natural lashes.
    http://carolinapage.eu

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really suit you and they look more natural than falsies! For special occasions I can definitely see extensions being worth it x

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had eyelash extensions before but it is so tempting :) Long lashes suit you, you should definitely get extensions for your wedding too, it would help your makeup stand out more :)

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, those lashes really opens up your eyes! I was tempted to try it at least once but I read so many horror stories about people losing their real lashes because of it so I dare not take the risk.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow your eyelashes look amazing.. I can defo see a difference. That makes such a different not having to wear mascara haha xx

    LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg the struggle is real when it comes to trying to take photos of your eyes. I figured out the stand in front of a mirror trick earlier this year too and it was a lifesaver :) The lashes are so dramatic! I love how they look so fluttery. That's a bummer that it makes it a bit difficult to apply eyeshadow and what not. I had no idea that you had to stay away from oil cleansers when using extensions. That's a bummer since I find oil cleansing so satisfying lol.

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay, alright, as if you could get anymore gorgeous... girl! you look amazing! I haven't tried eyelash extensions yet but now I'm seriously considering it.... xX

    ReplyDelete