My Concealer Collection


Concealer was one of the few makeup products I've been curious about since I was a child. I bought a makeup/fashion book for tweens when I was in 6th grade, and I've always wanted to use it to hide the moles on my face (until I realized that I can't hide them forever, and I still don't like them but I'm trying to embrace them). I was lucky to have skipped the acne phase when I was a teen, but it really bugged me when I did get the occasional big pimple that was on my chin or nose for everyone to see, Whatever concealer I was using did not not help. Or maybe it was because I wasn't doing the right technique. Hell, the only makeup I wore was lip gloss, lipstick, black eyeliner, mascara and brightly colored eyeshadow. 

Fast forward a few years, I've learned that there are different types of concealers that work for different purposes. I struggle with dark circles (due to my lupus, medications, and poor sleeping habits) and skin redness (due to lupus, again). I've searched high and low for concealers that would miraculously hide my blemishes. Though nothing is perfect, I have found the following that does just the job for me.



Top–bottom: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer (Ginger), IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye (Medium), NYX Dark Circle (Light), Cover Girl + Olay The Depuffer (Light), NYX HD (Green), BECCA Backlight Targeted Color Corrector (Peach)

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer ($29)
This is the much-raved about concealer. If you are a beauty junky AND a blogger, there is a 99.9% chance that you have heard about this baby. I bought this for my birthday last year...and the truth is, I have always tried to used it for my dark circles, and I really wanted to like it for that, but it would always crease. So I use this for dark spots and the like.

IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Anti-Aging Concealer ($24)
IT Cosmetics has always created products with skincare and anti-aging in mind. They are one of the few beauty brands that have worked with plastic surgeons. This concealer is made with vitamins C & K and collagen. So using this would not only hide your dark circles but improve your skin and puffiness (without going to an actual plastic surgeon, of course). Be careful though: this is a very thick formula, so you just want to dab on a couple of tiny dots under your eye.

NYX Dark Circle Concealer ($6)
Of all of the concealers featured in this post, I have been reaching for this the most. It hides my dark circles just as much, if not more, than some of the more expensive ones. It has a strong longevity for a drugstore product. The already-peach tint makes it so that you don't need to put a corrector underneath. It's very soft and creamy, and made with coconut oil for moisture and kaolin clay to absorb oil.

Covergirl + Olay The De-Puffer ($13)
This has the thinnest consistency of all of the concealers. It has a cooling iron-like applicator (similar to the Benefit! Puff Off) to shrink the puffiness of the eyes and cover the dark circles. If you have a less severe case of under eye circles, then I would recommend this. Otherwise I would go with the NYX Dark Circle Concealer.

NYX HD Concealer in "Green" ($5)
Green concealer is the way to go to cancel out the redness in your face (green is opposite of red in the color wheel, so you always want to pick out a concealer that is tinted the opposite of your skin problem). It is great for someone who has severe acne or the dreaded lupus butterfly rash. I use this sparingly on my nose and cheeks as it helps minimize the redness. Too much and your face looks minty.

BECCA Backlight Targeted Color Corrector in "Peach" ($30)
The reason why your dark circles end up having a gray-ish tint after using concealer is because you need to correct it with the right color. Again, referring back to the color wheel: since most dark circles on the under eyes are bluish, you need to cancel that out with an orange color. Though the name of the BECCA Color Corrector is "Peach", it is actually a brighter orange. I love using this under the IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Concealer.

Do you have any of these concealers?
What types of concealers do you wear and for what skin purposes?

29 comments :

  1. My heart goes out to you, lovely. It isn't easy to manage day to day with lupus but it's doable. One of my very close friends has been struggling with it for decades. Some day are good, some are not so much. But just gotta keep going <3 <3 <3 Sending you lots of love & will keep you in my prayers, sweetie <3
    Ok, concealers! Honestly, it sounds like NYX is just kicking butts here!! Both concealers by NYX sound so great, even better (to an extent) than a few high-end options. I have never tried the one in that daring green/minty shades though!! I know it's evened out and doesn't stay green lol. Just gotta have the courage to get it and try it for myself. I have struggle with face redness sometimes due to acne flaring up so it sounds like an answer. Forever love me some NARS <3 My all time absolute favourite!!
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's hard living with lupus, and I've gone through the toughest times between 2010–2014. I'm thankful to God that I have been a lot better and that my lupus hasn't been as active, but who knows if a flareup will happen again? Yes, you have got to try the NYX concealers. They are pretty underrated and do a great job, especially the dark circle ones!

      Delete
  2. I really like the NARS Radiant creamy but I think if you have a dry undereye it would crease pretty badly! I've heard so many good things about the NYX HD concealer, I'll have to pick it up the next time I'm at Ulta :)

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please give it a try! It works wonderfully for my undereyes!

      Delete
  3. I love NYX lately so both of their concealers sound brilliant! Great value for money too.

    Claire | Vanity Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYX has some amazing stuff for a reasonable price!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You will definitely love it. If not for the undereyes then something else!

      Delete

  5. To be honest, I don't use concealers because I do not know how to use them. No matter how much I practice or no matter how many YouTube tutorials I watch, I still don't know how to use them properly. I always end up making the pimples/spots more obvious. Especially pimples with big bumps. Yikes!

    Wow, so many concealers!  That must be such a hassle, using different kind of concealers for different areas. Though I don't use concealers,  I understand what it's like to be choosy and fusy when it comes to make-up. Haha, All for the name of beauty~

    GGMEMOCHOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that was my biggest frustration with concealers. Whenever I got a big pimple, it wouldn't hide it. Well maybe, but the big bump still stuck out.

      Delete
  6. I must try the IT Cosmetics anti-ageing concealer, sounds perfect for me since I love to use anti-ageing products. I always use a concealer, even in days when I am not wearing any makeup :)

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should whenever you find access to it!

      Delete
  7. Really want to try the NYX HD Concealers, great post! Xx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. NARS it's amazing :D
    Awesome blog! I'm following you! Follow back?***
    Kisses
    http://omundodajesse.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I am going to follow back <3

      Delete
  9. Luckily I don't have dark circles (fingers crossed, I hope I won't get any) so when I'm in hurry I'd always skip concealer. I really want to try it cosmetic products, there are so many raved reviews about them. NYX concealers sound great, I should give them a try!

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you're lucky! Most of the time I do skip concealer unless the occasion calls for it.

      Delete
  10. I am tempted to pick up NYX colour corrector in Lavender as my skin can look dull and sallow. I can't stand IT Cosmetics Bye Bye under eye concealer, it's too thick and heavy and creases like mad on me.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that's one thing I don't like about the IT cosmetics concealer. It does crease, which is why I have to use a setting powder with it.

      Delete
  11. Would you say the NYX dark circle one is better than the others for dark circles? x
    http://ablushingbeautyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that it is one of the best in terms of drugstore!

      Delete
  12. I'm still trying to up my concealer game; at the moment I just have MAC Prolongwear (but it's quite cakey) and L'Oreal True Match (which works ok for undereye). I definitely want to experiment with colour correcting too, and I think NYX is the best option. I love the sound of that NYX one with coconut oil!

    Sinéad ♥ fabuleuse, toujours ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I want to get the MAC Prolongwear foundation! I had a makeup trial for my wedding and the MUA used it for my dark circles and it worked like pure magic!

      Delete
  13. I've actually never used the NARS radiant creamy concealer and I definitely need to just give in and buy it! You've got a fab collection xx

    Sincerely, Sarah xx
    www.sincerelysarah.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dark circles under my eyes are the bane of my life! For similar reasons to you. Concealer was one of the first things I ever spent time trying to get 'right' & I'm still working on it even now. I love the Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, but I have to use a corrector underneath it. I'm currently using the Pixi Corrector. It's the only one I've tried, but I'd love to give others a go. I'll definitely be adding the NYX Dark Circle Concealer & Becca Colour Corrector to my list of concealers to try. Xx

    Tania | When Tania Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, to this day I still struggle with the right technique for my dark circles!

      Delete
  15. 3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete