Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks

Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks
Left to right: Nighthawk, Rocksteady, Manic, Crisis

It seems like nothing is going to stop me from drooling over new lipsticks. That is truly, truly my Vice (pun intended!). In the beauty world, news was going around that the Urban Decay's classic Revolution lipstick line was being discontinued in lieu of the new Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks that released on June 5. Did you know that the Vice lipsticks contain 120 shades (20 of which are only exclusive to Sephora according to Temptalia, 46 of which were originals from the Revolution line, including the Spehora exclusives?) They come in 6 finishes: cream, comfort matte, mega matte, sheer, sheer shimmer, and metallized. The best part is that they are more affordable at $17 compared to the $22 Revolution lipsticks. It sounds to me that Urban Decay is trying to compete with MAC's lipsticks: they have 239 shades, 8 finishes, and cost only $17 as well. Like how MAC also has 2 matte finishes: matte & retro matte (the more drying one), Urban Decay has 2 matte finishes as well.

The Revolution lipsticks were known for their diagonal shape, and while it was unique, I am pretty happy that they switched back to the traditional lipstick shape, as it makes it easier to apply on your lips. I am loving the little UD logo engraved too!

Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks - Rocksteady

The circumference of the tube in the Vice lipstick is thinner than in the Revolution lipstick. It still has their iconic gunmetal casing. One thing that a college acquaintance of mine pointed out when she too, bought 3 of the shades, was that it was very hard to open and that you have to open it upside down. I saw that there were some complaints on the web about that too, and I know it's because the cover of the tube goes all the way to the bottom rather than halfway (which would've made it much easier to open. You will see what I mean here:


All 3 shades I have purchased were from the cream formula, so I can't really comment on the other ones (with the exception of Temper, which was from the original Revolution line, and is grouped among the comfort matte shades). I purchased Manic, Crisis, Rocksteady, and Nighthawk. I was in Ulta debating whether to use up all of my platinum points or just save up, and I decided to go with the former, because good Lord knows how much I have been spending lately and I needed the extra cushion of $53 worth of points. 

Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks Manic, Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks Crisis, Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks Rocksteady, Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks Nighthawk
Top to bottom( Manic, Crisis, Rocksteady, Nighthawk)

Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks Manic

Manic is from the original Revolution line, and I wonder why I have been overlooking this gorgeous medium rosy-pink (described as soft wine in the Sephora website) this whole time. It suits my skin tone so so well, and is a gorgeous lip color for everyday wear. It adds color and femininity, but it is not loud or intimidating. Almost anyone can pull off this shade, I promise. I would like to empty this shade, and I am thinking of using this for my engagement photos, except for I don't like how it wears off (there is going to be a lot of kissing in the photos!)

Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks Crisis

Crisis is one of the new shades, and I fell in love with it when testing it at Ulta, thinking it was more pink than plum (but knowing it had plum in it), but it is actually more plum and cool-toned under natural light. I want to like it and get excited about it, but I guess it takes time getting used to. It's pretty, don't get me wrong, but I'm not as excited about it as I am bout Manic. I don't feel too bad though, my college acquaintance bought the shade Tampered and has a love-hate relationship with it.

Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks Rocksteady

Rocksteady was one among 8 shades in Urban Decay's Gwen Stefani collection. I tried this deep red as a sample of the new Vice lipsticks from Ulta (they sent members 24 samples) and I remember falling in love with it. This is another red anyone can wear! It's moody and sexy. Be careful because it bleeds outside the lips, you may need a lip liner with this one.

Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks Nighthawk

Nighthawk, another new shade, is the quintessential 90's shade that mixes burgundy and brown. I have been oggling over it since I found this. I can't wait until Fall so I can start rocking this! Or can I wear this now? There's no rules in makeup, right?

The cream formulas are actually the formulas in the classic Revolution lipsticks (not the Matte or Sheer ones). I do wish there was less shine without being too dry, like the satin finishes in the MAC lipsticks. They tend to wear off too while eating and drinking, so always have one at hand to reapply.

There were so many other shades that I wanted to buy, but my bank account isn't having it. I want to get my hands on Hitch Hike, Notorious, 714, Uptight and Alpha. 

Do you have any of the original Revolution lipsticks? Are you planning on getting new shades among the Vice line? Let me know.

15 comments :

  1. Manic might be my favorite, although Rocksteady is gorgeous as well!

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty shades and the packaging is lovely too!

    Janelle x
    http://www.roseryapparel.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those lippies are absolutely stunning. The packaging is great and I love that engraved UD. Manic & Nighthawk are gorgeous. Rocksteady is a fab statement red!
    Love your picks, hon.
    Hope you had a great weekend <3
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a red lipstick gal, but lately I've been really into the purple and plum colors. Crisis is such a beautiful color!

    http://www.thewanderingkitsune.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these colours are gorgeous and look so lovely on you! X

    ♡ itsjessiejane ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. 120 shades in a collection is impressive, it would be so hard to choose one! Manic is beautiful and I think you should go for it for the engagement photos!

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely think Manic would look gorgeous in your engagement pics! I love the red Rocksteady! I haven't owned any Urban Decay Lipsticks, only a gloss in the past. I always heard great things but stuck to MAC and drugstore then started to venture more into liquid lipsticks. Great pic showing how the packaging is... maybe they'll fix it with enough complaints! That's the wonderful power of a voice online and a review! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, these are all such gorgeous shades! I really love Manic on you! I need to check out all the new lipsticks at Urban Decay! xo

    http://rachelnicole.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of these shades are absolutely lovely on you! Especially manic
    Rachel xx
    The Daily Luxe // Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these colours suit you so incredible well!! :) Beautiful.

    Katie // wordsbykatie.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just can't go wrong with Urban Decay lippies! The formula sounds amazing, and I just adore the beautiful shades you picked. The last two especially seem right up my alley, particularly Rocksteady - I could see myself wearing that one quite often! Thanks for sharing hun. x

    Kay
    http://shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, I totally understand the feeling of always craving new lipsticks!
    I've never tried any from UD, though. I'm thinking of picking up Slowburn, a sheer orange that is not very sheer at all... At least it wasn't in the old formula! I'll give it a swatch again when I get a chance.
    http://carolinapage.eu

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was looking at them at Sephora but well with 100 colors its hard o decide on which you want 1 LOL

    http://villemo20.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crisis is such a beautiful shade! It's different than most of the other lipsticks I own. They all look great on you!

    www.youarebeaut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete