May 2016 Allure Beauty Box: Hot Summer


After canceling Boxycharm to try something new (and slightly less expensive), I've ben eyeing Allure Beauty Box (formerly known as Sample Society). Allure Magazine is one of my favorite woman's magazines (they focus solely on beauty and fashion, no annoying sex articles like Cosmo), so of course I had to check it out. The first month of signing up is only $10, and $15 after that.

The May Allure Beauty Box has caused a huge outrage to those who have signed up last month, because Allure oversold to the point where they didn't realize they had a shortage of boxes until much, much later. (Read more about it on My Subscription Addiction) I was worried because I thought I wouldn't get this month's box, since a lot of those who signed up in April were unable to get May's box (I signed up on April 4 though). I've heard rumors that no one who signed up in April got the box, the people who signed up on the 29th didn't get it, the rude customer service reps, etc. So I did call customer service, and spoke to a very nice guy named Keith, who told me that I was one of the lucky ones that was going to get the box! I was so excited days later when I got the email that my box was on its way.

This month's theme is Hot Summer, and has 8 products!!! That is the most amount of goodies I have ever received in a beauty box.

What makes Allure Beauty Box unique is that it comes with a mini magazine featuring the products (rather than a sheet of laminated paper) with instructions on how to use them. 


The first 3 products I will talk about are from the brand Foreo:


On the left looks like this weird pink-shaped toy, but it's actually the Foreo Luna play, which is actually worth $39! The Foreo Luna is known as the new Clarisonic (which I don't have), except that the brushes are made with silicone (which is more gentle for sensitive skin and easier to clean), and you do not need to buy replacement brushes, so it is cheaper in the long run. This is the smallest of the Luna Foreo family, with the minis coming in at $99 and the full-sized retailing up to $199! The full-sized devices have different ones specializing in sensitive, combination, normal and dry skin. The Foreo Lunas also claim to have anti-aging properties. Since the Foreo Luna play is the smallest of the bunch, it does not come with a charger and is good for up to 100 uses. But all of the Foreo Lunas are super compact and easy to travel with.

After the first night I tried the Foreo Luna play, I woke up the next day with my pores looking more enlarged. I'm not used to seeing larger pores (they are still kinda small, but in my perspective they are larger than what I am used to). I started to freak out a little bit. But after the 2nd night I tried it, my skin felt more radiant and clearer the next morning. Maybe I was purging? I use this at night with my Murad Clarifying Cleanser. Yes, I know that I received the Foreo Night Cleanser, but I am afraid to make too many switches on my skincare products so I haven't tried it yet, and can't really comment on it. I made the mistake one time during my first LUSH haul, buying too many skincare products (all a waste of $90-something), using them all at once, and waking up with horrible redness and spots. So I am more cognizant about not switching up my skincare routine too much.

During the day, I like to cleanse with the Foreo Day Cleanser, which brightens my skin and is made with mandarin and bergamot extracts, and apricot-seed oil.


Normally, I would be pretty annoyed with the amount of skincare I get on most beauty boxes, but I was pretty thrilled to find the Equitance Brightening Serum + Spot Corrector. Especially because I am running out of my Murad Sensitive Skin Soothing Serum. I use this at night while Murad is now saved for the morning. It claims to minimize spots caused by acne and sun spots in 4 weeks! I didn't realize how quick that was in the beauty world, but the mini magazine emphasized how fast that was compared to other skincare treatments. I like how there's no stinging sensation. I wish it was cooling, but it works for those with ultra sensitive skin.


Because the theme is Hot Summer, it makes sense to throw in a facial sunscreen with SPF 50, especially when you will be out and about and need protection for the sun. That's why you need the Cotz Flawless Complexion. Did I mention that this is a mineral-based sunscreen? You can read here about why I favor mineral, eco-friendly sunscreen. I have been wearing this before applying my makeup, and it's only been a few days and I am running out! That's how tiny this is (0.18 oz). One thing about this is that it's a weird salmon color, and I'm used to seeing more white sunscreens, so the color threw me off a bit.


When My Subscription Addiction (the best website for subscription box reviews and spoilers!) posted the full spoiler for this month's beauty box, I was pretty disappointed to see the Pixi by Petra mini Mattelustre Lipstick in Rose Naturelle. I just KNEW this would be the type of shade I would hate because it matched my lips. And I was correct. It looked like this lovely warm rosy brown on my arm but I might as well could've applied lip balm. The mini magazine says this lipstick "isn't a wispy, barely there rose". Well, if you have lips as pigmented as mine you bet it is!


Another dud is the MUFE Smoky Extravagant Mascara. Why? I got this as a birthday gift for being a Sephora beauty insider in 2014, and it lengthened my lashes, but did not thicken them to how much I liked it. Any other mascara would've been better.


Last but not least is the Lauren B Beauty Nail Polish in Santa Barbara Surf. Actually, this baby was the reason I postponed this box review: I wanted to paint my nails to showcase it, but haven't had the time due to a lot of stuff going on in my life. I do have a love relationship with it, because I don't like the brush. It's not a wide, precise flat brush like OPI's nail polishes. This is more akin to the Essie polishes, which have cute packaging too but wonky brushes that apply really thick. I think I may need to get a nail polish thicker. I do love how this is long lasting. And the shade, Santa Barbara surf is a gorgeous seafoam-green-meets-robins-egg-blue that is so amazing on all skin tones. It would complement fair skin so well and contrast tan (or darker) skin in a beautiful way. Lauren B Beauty polishes are all vegan with no formaldehyde, toulene, DBP, formaldehyde or camphor.

Overall, I think this is a decent box with a few let downs (the lipstick and mascara), but I have been loving on the Foreo Luna Play, the Equitance serum and the nail polish. I will keep my subscription and hope to get even better products! I am also really really excited for the arrival of my Play! by Sephora box. Anytime soon...

Are you guys subscribed to Allure Beauty Box?

5 comments :

  1. It definitely seems like a great value, the Luna play alone is worth more than the cost of the box! I'm not a huge fan of skincare but I think I'd use a lot of the products in the box. Pity the lipstick doesn't work out for you! :(

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, but the beauty of these boxes is that we get tons of high end products for $10-$20-something. I need skincare though because my skin has been acting up!

      Delete
  2. Great post. x

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eight products is a pretty good amount in one box! Definietly better than anything we get in the UK - one of the reasons why I don't subscribe to any monthly boxes anymore. I do like the sound of these products although personally I'd hope for more makeup than skincare, although the skincare products included in this does sound pretty awesome! Shame about the lipstick, but I'm glad you got a few goodies you enjoy. <3 That nail colour looks really lovely on you, perfect for the summer. Thanks for sharing! Kisses. x

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always want makeup, but skincare is something I need at the moment because I am experiencing a breakout! A mask would be nice. I'm sorry that you guys don't have as good ones in the UK :( I love the nail polish, it's just so hard to work with!

      Delete