The Beauty Tag


Say what, a second tag in a row?! Thank you so much Kay for nominating me! If you don't know who Kay is, check out her awesome blog Shoes and Glitter, she has some awesome makeup and fragrance reviews, along with helpful tips for blogging newbies! She is so sweet and upbeat, I just wish we met in person to chat over makeup and life for hours! I love these tags because I learn from other bloggers' answers, and I give others my insight on things beauty-wise, if that makes sense. Here are the questions!

If you could have anyone in the world do your makeup, who would it be?
I really would want Bobbi Brown to do my makeup: I love her philosophy on using makeup to enhance a woman's natural beauty and not completely change her facial structure. However, I love the glam look too, so I discovered Nicol Concilio on YouTube and I love her dolled-up face and her charisma. How can I look as flawless as her?

What's your top makeup tip?
To get perfected winged eyeliner, I use a piece of tape and place it diagonally on the edge of my brow to the outer corner of my eye. That way, any mess-ups go on the tape and I don't have to redo it. However, this means you have to do your eye makeup first before the face makeup (you don't want tape to mess with your foundation).



What one skincare item could you not live without?
Masks have been my favorite thing lately: from hydrating Korean sheet masks to my Murad Clarifying Mask: I am making an effort to put this on at least once a week to deep cleanse my skin, especially after a whole day of full on makeup. It seems to extract the little bumps and make my skin feel so soft. I even used this when my face was breaking out before Miss Menstruation came, and my face was so smooth the next day.

What are you worst at when it comes to applying makeup?
The winged liner, which is why I love using that tape hack I mentioned a few questions ago. I am still having trouble covering up serious dark circles, which is why I got the BECCA Backlight Targeted Colour Corrector in Peach from the Sephora VIB sale. I use it before my concealer, and it covered 80% of my dark circles, but I figure I need to use more eye cream to get rid of that problem. I also set it with the Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder but it seemed to crease. Hopefully different techniques (and maybe a different concealer) will help.

What's your biggest pet peeve when it comes to beauty?
Like Kay said, the "rules" for beauty and the sense that if you don't apply your makeup in a certain way then you're doing it all wrong. And when it comes to the beauty community on Youtube, I feel like a lot of the gurus are not completely honest about the products that they review and swatch, and that they have to rave about it because they are being given the product. I don't know, maybe I am being bitter because I want to roll in the cash and the free products too (though they have to deal with haters and negative comments).

What's your favorite makeup era?
If you asked me 10 years ago, I would probably say the 1940's because I read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood and watched The Notebook (which I was obsessed with like all other teen girls, I seriously thought my ex was the Noah to my Allie), both of which took place in that era. But I'm torn because I don't see much beauty inspiration pre-1970 for women of my skin tone. Like Kelly from BeautyPepTalk, I like the 80's for the colorful eyeshadow, blush, and lip colors...just not for the hair! And like Kelly, I do like the music and movies from the 80's because my sister was born in 1976 so she really influenced me to embrace the culture of that decade: I even have the exercise video (cue the leg warmers and crazy hair) from 1986 (in DVD format), The Firm Classic Vol. 1, and ohmygosh it is one of the hardest workouts I have ever done! But it gave me a big chunk of bicep muscle and a  whittled waist so I can't complain, haha.


What's your guilty pleasure product?
Lipsticks, especially hot pink ones. In fact, when I returned the MAC Prolongwear Foundation and exchanged it for the lipstick in "Mehr", I tested some of the Retro Matte Liquid Lipsticks and fell in love with "Tailored to Tease", a punchy hot pink with blue undertones. I absolutely NEED it in my life!

What's your 'underdog' product?
I haven't talked about it a lot in my blog, but I absolutely love the L'OREAL True Match Lumi Foundation. It's the perfect drugstore foundation for my skin type and gives me a flawless, dewy (but not oily) finish, and it has SPF! I discovered it in 2014 and the only problem was that I got it in the wrong shade...N4, when my correct shade is actually W6. I'll be using it more, especially now that the  weather is warming up and I'll be out in the sun more often.

What's your favorite makeup product of 2015?
Oh gosh, 2015?! That was the year I went most crazy spending on beauty products...I still kinda am in 2016 (except for Lent), but I am practicing more discipline and self-awareness this time around. But for 2015, I really loved and used the Too Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar to death. I took it with me to New York and Hawaii. I also loved (and still love) MAC lipstick in "Retro"...I wore it to my graduation, job interviews, my internship, everyday wear, etc. it's just that I was almost finished with it (with 1/4 product left of the tube) and I lost it, so I had to get another one! Then the MUA at MAC gave me an extra tube because she thought I wanted to return it along with the Prolongwear Foundation, and now I have 2 full tubes of "Retro" lipstick.

Anyone who wants to do this tag is free to, but I wanna especially tag these ladies:
Katie from Beauty From Katie
Caroline from Iridescent Places
Samantha from Lavender and Honey
Erin from Make Erin Over

17 comments :

  1. I really need to get around to try that eyeliner tip! I can't do my eyeliner to save my life, so that would be handy xx

    June | https://hellolipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been using the tape, and I should. My eyeliner and eyeshadow look half-assed without it!

      Delete
  2. As I was reading this I was like, "I hope someone tags me so I can do it!" Thanks so much! I would love to be able to pull off a hot pink lip x

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hope you do it! I would love to hear your answers!

      Delete
  3. thanks for the tag! I will get right on it xX "the rules" are my peeve as well. Makeup is about expression, right? So it's bound to differ from person to person.. great post my dear! xX

    kynialikethecountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. Makeup should be fun and an art, a way for each individual to express themselves.

      Delete
  4. I love the eyeliner tip, I'm absolutely terrible at winged eyeliner so I just avoid it at all costs!

    Cultivation of Jasmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have been attempting the winged liner for 2 years and I still struggle with it!

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely not a teenager, but I'm still obsessed with The Notebook! ;)
    I have serious dark circles, too, and I don't think I'll ever be able to cover them up completely...
    http://carolinapage.eu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one with severe dark circles. It's such a pain to hide them!

      Delete
  6. Using the tape to do eyeliner is such a good idea, why haven't I thought of doing this before!!?? Definitely giving that one a try.

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh I still need to try that Too Faced palette, they're such a great brand! And that tape/eyeliner trick is GENIUS xx
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous palette, I love it! And definitely give that hack a try!

      Delete
  8. Lovely post. x

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really loved reading this tag, hun, thanks for doing it! And thank you for your kind words, you're just the sweetest. :) I can see from your answers that we have quite a lot in common, which is awesome! I really like what you said about YouTubers not being authentic and honest in their reviews... I feel the same way about bloggers, also. I sometimes come across a super rave review, best product ever and then what a surprise, turns out it was a sponsored post. :/ Also, thanks for sharing that eyeliner tip, I'll be sure to try it out next time! Kisses. x

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tag! Yes, it is very shady to read the famous vloggers and bloggers, which is why I trust us smaller bloggers because the reviews are more honest!

      Delete