Saying "I do not" to MAC Prolongwear Foundation


I'm still on the fence on whether to DIY my bridal makeup, so I've been eyeing the MAC Prolongwear Foundation for a while. I've even had it on my MAC Wishlist and Wedding Beauty wishlist. Plus, I have said many times in this blog that my first foundation ever was the MAC Face and Body Foundation in December 2012, and I looked flawless with it despite being a sheer-to-medium coverage. I've researched about it, with most reviewers and bloggers saying it was mostly suited towards oily skin because of its matte finish and cakey look if you're not careful...but others have raved about its flawless look and longevity.

Here is the full description of the Prolongwear Foundation:
A comfortable, long-wearing foundation that gives medium coverage with a natural matte finish and up to 15 hours of wear in any environmental condition. Lightweight and creamy, it applies and blends easily leaving the skin feeling soft and free to breathe all day while controlling oil. Specially treated micronized pigments help give a smoother, more flawless, natural matte finish with stay-true colour.
For $33, you get 30 mL of this baby in a glass bottle with a pump. I always love using pumps for my foundation so I know if I am getting the right amount. So that is one good thing about it. Also, when I went into the MAC store, I asked the MUA what shade I should get, and she said that I am NC 40, so she was right on the money because this shade was like my skin repackaged in a bottle. It blended so perfectly that I wasn't sure as I was blending which part was my bare skin or which part was the foundation. I even went to Findnation to match other foundation brands I would wear if I am NC 40 in this and C4 in Face and Body, and they too were right on the money when they matched me with MUFE HD in 128 (which I already have). It also felt really lightweight on my skin for it being full-coverage and matte. I was impressed with the longevity and though I haven't worn it for 15 hours, I would trust that it lives up to its claim.

So, why the disappointment?

I knew that this was a fast-drying foundation and was hard to work with, so I tried to work with that. I used my Real Techniques sponge to blend it, sprayed on some Fix+, then added another layer for extra coverage. It looked fine at first, and I thought it minimized my pores. However, it seemed to settle in and accentuate them and the lines under my eyes, especially when I put on my concealer. I have never had that happen with other foundations. Also, later on (after applying blush/highlight/setting spray, I did see that it caked my face into a powdery mess, especially around the nose area. I was hoping that the full-coverage would cover my red nose, but nope. That is exactly where that powdered look showed up the most. I started noticing some little bumps on my chin after using this.

benefit professional primer
After priming with the Benefit Professional

mac prolongwear foundation
At least my eyeshadow is perfecto. I finally got the Too Faced PB&J Palette! Review coming soon.

mac prolongwear foundation
This is the caked and powdered look up close. That's how bad it is. It made my under eye concealer (NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in "Ginger") harder to blend.

I mean, it didn't look too too bad in different lightings, like natural light. But under icky indoor fluorescent lights? Forget about it. And from far away, it looked great like in my recent floral dress fashion post. But oh, the horror once you go close up! I would hate to look so patchy on my special day, and there is only so much Photoshop that my photographer can do. I guess I do well with foundations that are either satin, semi-matte or dewy.

I would recommend this for more normal or oily skin types. I mean I kinda have normal skin with some dryness but a lot of sensitivity and redness from my lupus...so this is a no-go for me. I will either save up for the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation (I'm having a heart attack because it's almost twice the cost of Prolongwear, but I have a 10% off Sephora VIB code I can use any time of the year) or experiment with my Too Faced Born This Way Foundation to see if it has long-lasting wear potential (along with primer, translucent powder, and setting spray of course). Or I should've listened to the MAC MUA and bought the Prolongwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation when I  told her I had dry skin. Thank goodness I still have the receipt because this ain't staying in my stash.

Have you guys tried this foundation? What are your thoughts?

8 comments :

  1. I've never tried this, but having oily skin, I've always been curious about it! Too bad it didn't work for you, but at least you can return it. We don't have that option here in Italy... :(
    http://carolinapage.eu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man I am so sorry that there is no return policy in Italy! Must suck to have to keep something you ended up not liking! I think you might like this foundation :D

      Delete
  2. Ohh it sucks that it didn't work for you... As far as your bridal makeup goes... I think doing it yourself is always better, but it is wedding, and you are probably going to be nervous and in that kind of a situation, we tend to mess up :D I think I would find a professional and make them do my makeup a few times before the wedding to see if I like it... And I love your eye look! xx

    http://beautypeptalk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm torn because my wedding is already going to be insanely expensive and pretty grandiose, and there's no way we can dramatically cut down our guest list because of food and beverage minimum...I already have enough makeup that's equivalent to the amount a makeup artist costs, but at the same time, I am the type that stresses out and gets really testy easily to hiring one might be good for me, because I'm worried about getting really shaky, especially with eyeliner. I might talk to someone I met at the fashion club at my old university because she's a model and is now an aspiring MUA and has done work for the runway and proms. And thank you!

      Delete
  3. Good to know.. I am always on the lookout for a good foundation and so this was super helpful of what NOT to look for. Sorry it didn't work out for you.. but you were right-- your eyeshadow was perfetto! xX
    kynialikethecountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it's great if you have oily skin, but not for dry or sensitive. And thank you!

      Delete
  4. The first liquid foundation I ever tried was from MAC and I think it was this one or the Studio Fix one.. I don't remember, but it really put me off from liquid foundations as I had nothing to compare it to. I'm just not a huge fan of MAC liquid foundation.. I like their Face and Body as well, but other than that.. meh.
    xx
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love the Face and Body, but I felt like I didn't always get the coverage I wanted so I would put Clinique powder on, My favorite is MUFE HD, and I really really want to try the Armani Luminous Silk!

      Delete