The Balm Goodies: Instain Blush (Toile) & Bahama Mama Bronzer.


The Balm is one brand I've been obsessing over and talking a lot about in this blog. I reviewed the Meet Matt(e) Hughes liquid lipstick (Charming) and I even had a Wishlist Wednesday last month dedicated to their products. I was just in luck when Hautelook came out with The Balm items for 50% off! I bought the Bahama Mama bronzer for $20 $10, and the Instain Blush (Toile) for $22 $11. I've been trying to do low buy but it's been hard because of my birthday coming up, but I ordered these at the end of last month and received them 2 weeks ago. No way would I have splurged if they weren't on sale.

Anyway, let's talk about the packaging first. I love the vintage type feel of The Balm products, and I feel like the artwork and designs resemble the vintage illustrations than Benefit Cosmetics do. It's mostly 1940's and 1950's inspired, but the Instain blushes have a more 60's vibe with the packaging resembling a fashion magazine. Even the barcode is placed on the bottom, like a typical magazine design. How cool/cute is that?!


These products have a magnetic opening. Keep in mind that they come with a sleeve protector that looks exactly like the cover, but I discarded them because it's inconvenient. Here's what I mean:


Now, let me talk about the actual shades.


The Instain blush shade I got is Toile, which is a strawberry pink. It reminds me of the Too Faced Love Flush (How Deep Is Your Love?) which Sephora describes as a watermelon pink. I guess because they are both hot pink and are similar to fruits? Remember how I said that the Instain blushes have their concept design after a 60's fashion magazine? Well, their shades are named after fashion patterns. The real toile, is a fabric, French for "linen cloth" or "canvas". The pattern is actually called "toile de jouy", which is a complex decorated pattern, usually of flowers. You can see around the blush the flower patterns. The Instain blushes have other shades with names such as Houndstooth (a very 60s pattern), Pinstripe, Lace, Argyle and Swiss Dot. Check them out here.

The Bahama Mama is a matte bronzer. Since it's cool-toned and there's no shimmer, it is perfect for contouring and sculpting the face. You can build it up to the amount of illusion you want on your cheekbones. It gives a natural glow without looking like an oompa loompa.

One thing I love about The Balm's blushes, bronzers and highlighters are teeny tiny and thin, which makes it perfect for travel. The Bahama Mama is 2" x 3", almost the size of a business card. However, it has 7.08 grams of product, and the Instain blushes have 6.5 grams. Not bad huh?!

The only thing I don't like are the protective sleeves I mentioned above, but you can easily get rid of it if you want, it's your preference.

Now, time for the swatches! You can build up to however much pigment you want, which is good because you don't want to look like a clown.


Other makeup I'm wearing (haven't done this in a while):
Maybelline Brow Drama (Dark Brown)
Rimmel Scandleyes Waterproof Gel Liner (black)
Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara

Do you guys have this product or any similar products relating to The Balm? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments :

  1. TheBalm is one of my favourite brands atm! Never tried the Instain blush, but the shade looks absolutely stunning on you. :) <3

    Kay
    https://shoesandglitter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try their blushes. They are so pretty and pigmented, and with one of the best packaging for blushes in my opinion ;) and thanks! <3

      Delete