Fall Lipstick Faves #1: The Reds

fall red lipstick

MAC Studded Kiss Diva D for Danger
Left to Right: MAC Studded Kiss, Diva, D for Danger

Too Faced Melted Berry, L'OREAL Cinnamon Toast, Maybelline Divine Wine

What I and many other beauty bloggers love about the fall season is the ability to wear dark makeup colors. During fall and winter, you can get away with a variety of reds: from the classic bright red to dark pink berry to wines. The possibilities are endless. No need to limit yourself!

So I decided to write up a 3-part series of my favorite Fall Lipstick Faves: soon I will do a theme for the browns and the plums. Here's the swatches:


Maybelline Creamy Matte lipstick (Divine Wine) is a shade I really fell hard for. I would go as far to say that it is a dupe of MAC Diva, only a tad bit redder. Just a tad. Also, unlike the MAC matte lipsticks, these are really comfortable to wear!

Everyone loves MAC for their wide variety of shades. For the reds, I am falling hard (no pun intended) for Diva, Studded Kiss and D for Danger. Diva is more on the burgundy side whereas Studded Kiss is warmer. D for Danger is becoming a favorite of mine: It's dark enough for this season but pink and feminine enough to wear for spring. I wrote a recent review about D for Danger and Diva (along with Maybelline Divine Wine) here, and Studded Kiss here.

You can't go wrong with Too Faced's variety of shades, but my favorite is is Melted Berry. It dries matte, but leaves a gorgeous stain. It shows more plum on people with fair skin, but for me it's also reddish.

Now there is the L'OREAL Colour Riche (Cinnamon Toast). It shows up as brownish on my arm but it's actually red on my lips. In fact, before I went to Hawaii and had lighter skin, it was almost similar to Maybelline Divine Wine in terms of darkness, but just a little bit warmer. This is actually the most comfortable to wear among all the lipsticks posted. It almost feels like a balm/stain. It totally makes sense because it has Omega 3, Argan Oil and Vitamin E.

NYX Soft Matte (Monte Carlo) is dark red, and it's one that I get compliments on a lot whenever I wear it. It also has a strong staying power.

Finally, there is NYX Butter Gloss (Red Velvet). Yeah I know it's a gloss, not a lipstick, but it has way more pigment than the other NYX butter glosses. I would say the paler ones are much sheerer. It packs a punch enough to wear on your own, or you can put over your lipstick. Just be careful with the wind and your hair!

Be sure to stay put for my next Fall Lipstick Faves soon for plums and browns!

What are your favorite red lipsticks to wear?

4 comments :

  1. Red lippies are the best, especially dark red lipstick! Monte Carlo is gorgeous! I have the Soft Matte Lip Cream in Amsterdam, but I will definitely have to pick up Monte Carlo!

    xx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Amsterdam too, but I don't reach for it as much. To me it's a pretty bright red color. Thanks for posting!

      Delete
  2. I never wear a lot of red lipstick … at the moment I'm loving the new lip potion from estée lauder in the shade 420, fragile ego. It's really comfortable.

    Feathers and Brushes | Swiss | Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't habe Estee Lauder maekeup, but my mom is a fan. I just looked up the 420 shade, it's a beautiful pinkish red shade!

      Delete