August 2015 Ipsy Glambag: Prep School

I started getting subscriptions to Ipsy in June...but I felt very "meh" about the items I was getting. Bad mistake. Whether I'm blown over something or not, it's still worth reviewing. I'm not just gonna rave about my favorite products. That said...this month's "theme" is Prep School. The bag is a houndstooth pattern, which I love because it's reminiscent of the 60s (a decade for fashion that I love, mod that is).

This month's goodies

I'll go through each product one by one:


1. Hikari Cosmetics Lipgloss (Merlot): This is a beautiful medium–deep plum that reminds me of NYX Intense Butter Gloss in Spice Cake. It's bright enough for summer and dramatic enough for fall.  It's very opaque, and the square transparent tube gives the packaging a luxurious feel. It retails for $13 on the Hikari Cosmetics website.


2. Doucce Ultra Precision Eyeliner (Black): A classic black eyeliner has always been one of my makeup staples since I was a teen. If I had nothing else, I always loved playing up my eyes by drawing it on my lower lash along with eyeshadow and mascara. Lately however, I noticed that pencil liner has been fading within hours...I guess I can attribute that to oily eyes. Even the Urban Decay 24/7 pencil liner has started to do that, whereas it stayed when I first tried it. The Doucce eyeliner is water proof, and I wore it for a few hours yesterday and it faded a teeny bit, but it was still there by the end of the night.


3. City Color Cosmetics HD Powder: I've always wanted to try City Color Cosmetics' products, but the "Free shipping over $50" turned me away. So this is my first product from them! Honestly, I don't use HD powder. I have the one from NYX, but I felt like I never needed it, and plus it's messy. But I have watched a few Youtube videos about how to use it, and I will practice using it and see if it'll give my face a smoother look.


4. Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizer: It's high time I use some sort of hair product besides the usual shampoo and conditioner. Seriously, I'm really low maintenance when it comes to my hair. That said, my lupus also causes hair loss. I had a thick mane growing up, now I struggle to give it more oomph. Definitely will use after the shower. It contains vitamin E, Ginseng, and lemon extract to break down oils (thin hair also means oily). The maltodextrin is to give the volume and separate the strands.


5. LATHER Ultra Mild Face Wash: A cleanser for those with sensitive skin, like mine. It smells very clean, and I think I'll use is as my morning cleanser.

Overall thoughts: This isn't a bad bunch, and I am really loving the lip gloss. I can't wait to try everything else too, especially the Briogeo volumizer for my hair. The products I have been getting are better than the ones I had last year, and I will make use of it as much as possible. 

Do you have any subscription boxes? What is your favorite? I had Boxycharm for a while, and while I loved it...it was getting more expensive. But the glam bags are getting better and better!


No comments :

Post a Comment