ColourPop Ultra Matte Lips (Bumble, Tulle, Avenue, Sundae)



Boy are these babies revolutionary.

When ColourPop released their liquid lipsticks aka Ultra Matte Lips on June 25, 2:00-ish PST, all hell broke loose. Every beauty junkie agonized for hours just to get their hands on these treasures, even despite that pesky broken link about the crash, or the cart being empty. Some people were lucky and took them between 20 minutes–1 hour. Me? Not so much. I kept refreshing and refreshing. Then I went out to dinner with my mom and sister a few hour later. When I got home, I tried to place my order again. Yay, success! I'm so thankful that I didn't give up: now all 25 shades are currently out of stock.

Liquid lipsticks are the 2010's beauty staple: when I was a teen, you basically got either just lipstick or sheer, or slightly tinted lip gloss. It's amazing how you can now get that bright, opaque pop from a doe foot applicator that used to be only known for sheer tint product that makes sticks to your hair in the wind. Now, liquid lipsticks are in so many different brands such as Stila, Anastasia Beverly Hills and even NYX. ColourPop is the latest brand that jumped on the liquid lipstick bandwagon. This is actually my 2nd time ordering from them: I never even heard of them until I started blogging. They are very well-known for collaborating with vloggers to develop new beauty products at affordable prices. They are also just as high quality, if not more, than some department store brands.

They also send cute personalized notes to their customers. On my first order in April, they called me a muggle!

I also got the Super Shock Cheek blush in Quarters.

I mean, come on, who can resist these at $6 a pop?! The higher end hippies can go up to $20! I don't know, but I'm not made of money.


Based on these swatches I found on Instagram, I knew I wanted Tulle and Bumble. I wanted Oiji too but it somewhat reminded me of Kat Von D's "Berlin" which I already have. So I decided to get Avenue and Sundae. And here's how all four look on me (I have no other makeup besides these, I just had a facial when I took these pics):


Bumble, on the website is described as a dusty warm terra-cotta. This is the perfect rosy shade I have been looking for. It is WARM TONED. I find that Stila's Patina and Sephora's Marvelous Mauve look odd on me because they are slightly on the cooler toned side. This one is my favorite, and I love how it shows up as a dark pink on my lips, but not too dark or bright. I have been searching for a medium–dark muted rose and here it is. I thought based on the swatches it would be too light. But this is going to be used regularly.

Sundae is a bluish-violet bright pink, that reminds me exactly of MAC's Candy Yum Yum (which I haven't used in a long time). I usually go for bright pink coral, and I would've ordered the shade Highball (but I have A LOT of hot pinks similar...like Too Faced Jelly Donut, MAC Girl About Town, etc.) so this is a bit out of my comfort zone. It is a fun, summery shade and reminds me of 80s Barbie.

Avenue is another favorite of mine. Don't you see how it looks velvety on me? It is a dark red, perfect for fall and winter. But I can totally see myself breaking that rule and wearing it this summer because it's so beautiful.

Tulle is the shade I absolutely wanted the most but was the most disappointed in. I thought it would be like how Bumble was on my lips (I was making my decisions based on the lip swatches). But it is actually much darker, a burgundy brown. It is the quintessential 90's grunge shade (along with Avenue). I know that a lot of people would love this shade, but I feel like it's not for me. Nevertheless I'll still wear it once in a while!

As far as the formula: They weren't kidding when they said Ultra Matte! That is the key word! I really, really struggled to wipe these off when I wanted try another shade. That's how dry they are. And yeah it may be quite uncomfortable, but you'll love the fact that these last all day. When I drink my water bottle, my lips touch the tip. Other lipsticks and glosses I wear will bleed onto the bottle, but not these! That's how you know you'll be able to wear these all day.

Let's just say that beauty junkies went bat shit crazy over these because each and every single shade is sold out. But! When they come back, I would love to get the shades Highball, Oiji and Donut.

SO! Have you guys bought into the craze of these lippies?! What shades did you get?! Please comment below!

4 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't think tulle is for you?? Really? Honestly, that image on google search is what brought me to this page. I think it's a gorgeous color for your lip shape and skin tone, more so than Sundae. It's a shame you were disappointed in it. While what you wear is (of course) up to you, I still think it's one of the prettiest on you out of all of them. (:

    ReplyDelete