Regret Purchases of 2014

As a new beauty blogger (and just a beauty addict in general), I've been buying different products that would go well with my skin, eyes, outfits, face shape, etc. Most of the time I had lovely purchases, but there have been a few rotten eggs in the basket. I've learned to observe what works and what doesn't work for me personally and why. So here are some of the following things I bought and I wish I knew better:


1. Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid Lip Color: I actually bought these last night at Walgreens when I was picking up my medications because they were only $2. They looked extremely pigmented in the tube, and I'm also a huge fan of Wet n Wild Megalast lipsticks. What I usually like to do is check type the products I like or bought on the Instagram hashtags so I was looking for these, and I only found 33. I looked at the reviews on MakeupAlley and they only had an average of 3 ratings. The complaints were that as soon as it was applied, the texture felt extremely dry and like paint. Uh oh. So I tried Cherry on Top (left above, the right is High-Pitched Wine) and I thought it was gorgeous! It's a very opaque, ruby-red color. I tried to take it off with water and it was extremely difficult, no matter how hard I tried to wipe it off, my mouth was a mess. I have long lasting lipsticks but they never made a mess like that! I guess instead these, I should've gotten one of the Milani lipsticks or lip glosses which would've been a little more expensive. Still, it was a disappointment considering how awesome their lipsticks are.


2. NYX Photo-Loving Primer (Anti-Redness): NYX is one of my favorite drugstore brands, but I would have to give this a thumbs down. I found this at Ulta because I was looking for a green primer or concealer to cover up the redness of my face. It didn't do the job. I also made a mistake of not checking the reviews on line. People said was extremely liquid-y (which I would have to agree with) and helped with filling pores but not with the redness. Although some say that it's a dupe for Smashbox's Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer. Still, I find myself not reaching for this. I'm still on the lookout for another green primer or concealer to cancel out my butterfly rash, but I am doing my research first and I'm trying to look for something with an average of 4 ratings and higher and not too expensive (under $15 is ideal).


3. Sephora Microsmooth Baked Sculpting Trio (Sophisticated): One of the salespersons at the Sephora in JC Penny recommended this to me for contouring based on my skin tone. I bought this over the summer and the shades were too close to my skin tone, and now it's December and I still have to build it up a lot in order to have have some color show up. Even then, I find the darker shades too warm. For contouring, it is best to use a cool shade brown that's 2-3 shades darker than your skin tone because it gives the illusion of shadows rather than making you look like an Oompa Loompa. I also bought the NARS Matte Multiple stick in Vientiane which works better for me but is in cream form. I guess this is just better for bronzing itself, but not for contouring. I still want to get another powder form, but the creams seem to be working better for me and my dry skin.


4. Sonia Kashuk Brush and Sponge Cleanser: You would think that since Sonia Kashuk has high-quality brushes for a reasonable price that the cleanser would be just as good. I was wrong. I kept spraying this on my dirty brushes, and washing over and over and it didn't get rid of everything. I even soaked my brushes with a mixture of water and this! I was frustrated and was almost halfway done with this bottle by the first or second use. I got this for $14 at Target, and it was only 5.9 oz. I prefer the MAC brush cleanser a lot more because it's $15 but 7.9 oz, and it cleans my brushes completely.


5. LA Girl Glazed Lip Paints (Blushing and Seduce) and Too Faced Melted Lipstick (Violet): Don't get me wrong, I LOVE violet. I love it on my clothes and my eyeshadow. But it just does not seem to be working well for my skin tone. It shows up as too pale. I wrote a review about the LA Girl Glazed Lip Paints here and I mentioned that I was disappointed that Blushing (on the very left) looked like a peach shade on the website when I ordered it but turned out to be more mauve. I also love Too Faced Melted lipsticks (I also have Coral which is perfect for spring and summer and recently purchased Berry, my new favorite!) but I'm not reaching for Violet at all. I guess I'm learning that I love reds, berries, medium/dark pinks, corals and nudes whereas I'm not too hot about baby pinks or lilacs (at least for my lips, but I love them on my clothes!)



6. Maybelline Baby Lips: I need to stop trying to make Baby Lips happen because it's not happening for me. I would see other beauty junkies' Instagrams with them so perfectly arranged and aesthetically pleasing along with the owl figurines from Target. Plus they have really cute packaging. I really wanted to like these because I heard some great reviews about them. They come in different variety, you can choose one with color or a clear one. Above is Baby Lips Electro (Pink Shock) and Dr. Rescue (Soothing Sorbet). I also have Cherry Me somewhere. That's how much I really tried giving these a chance. I love how pigmented they are for a lip balm but not too pigmented on days where I don't want to pull out a bright red or pink lipstick, and Cherry Me smelled so sweet and fruity! Soothing Sorbet has that peppermint scent I adore. My biggest problem with these are that they made my lips drier. I tried them in May and didn't touch them for a while but gave them another chance in November. Still had much drier and chapped lips each time. And it's a shame because so many other people reported about how much smoother and moisturized their lips are. I guess they aren't for everyone though.


7. Urban Decay Electric Palette: I was drooling over this for a while until I went and bought it and I was fairly disappointed. They are not as pigmented on my eye as they were on the arm or in the pot, and I realized that this was not good for everyday wear. I loved bright colored eyeshadows when I was 15, but now I am 25 and I'm leaning towards neutrals. I still love color though, as long as it's used in the right setting. You can read why I returned it here. I ended up exchanged it for the MUFE HD Foundation.

Thanks for reading, I just wanted to put in honest reviews to show that not every purchase is going to be a good one or exactly how you envisioned it.

-Hannah


No comments :

Post a Comment