Review: Too Faced Chocolate Bar eyeshadow palette. Bon appetit!

As a graphic design student, I always knew that what attracts consumers to a product/event/etc. is not only the thing of itself but the total packaging and design. Too Faced is one of the cosmetic brand that always comes up with the cutest packaging. Every time I am in Sephora I am fascinated with the design, shape, and colors of their cosmetics. Their Melted Liquified Longwear Lipstick (which I have in Coral and Violet) are in little paint tubes, feminine typography and golden accents. They have a heart shaped blush and leopard bronzer with gold boxes. Their brushes are called “Teddy Bear” to emphasize the softness similar to animal hair (without testing of animals since Too Faced is a cruelty free brand), and they come in a bag with an oh so adorable  teddy bear zipper…but they took their creativity to whole new level with the Chocolate Bar eyeshadow palette.




I purchased the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette in April, and I absolutely adore the rosy, pinkish shades. So romantic. However, it was time that I needed some more neutrals. I could’ve gotten the Urban Decay Naked 1 palette, which has similar shades but only contains 12 compared to Too Faced Chocolate Bar’s 16 shades. I was just enamored with the exterior looking like a chocolate bar (duh). And lets be honest: the sweet smell makes me want to run out to the store and grab a bar of Lindt or Cadbury. That’s because this baby is made with real cocoa powder, vanillin, fruit powder, etc. (for a detailed list of ingredients, click here)

The 16 shades of the Chocolate Bar palette, with White Chocolate and Champagne  Truffle as the largest (because they would be used for the browbone or as a base for other shades)

The matte shades (no shimmer, just flat finish) from top to bottom: White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Triple Fudge, Salted Caramel, Semi Sweet, Strawberry

The shimmer shades from top to bottom: Gilded Ganache, Black Forest Truffle, Marzipan, Candied Violet, Amaretto, Hazelnut, Creme Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle

Pros:
-The packaging was enough to make me more curious, and the scent gives me a big chocolate craving
-There's a variety of mattes and shimmers, different shades of brown (with violet and pink added to neutralize the browns)
-Most shades are pigmented, especially White Chocolate, Gilded Ganache, Triple Fudge, and Cherry Cordial
-You can mix and match shades to wear on a casual day to school or a night out (how's that for a sexy smokey eye?!)

Cons:
-The names of the shades are on a thin plastic sheet that comes with it instead of being printed on the product...so I'm thinking rather than going through the hassle of taking it on and off to distinguish the names, I'll just write it down on the product with a fine tip Sharpie.
-There were other reviews complaining that Candied Violet does not have enough pigment, and unfortunately I'd have to agree. And it's a shame because it has potential to be a beautiful, rich color. However I find that you can wet the brush with water for a more dramatic effect!
-Unlike the Naked Palettes, this comes with no brush, so when you want to bring it to you for travel you have to bring a separate brush (or use the Naked brushes if you have any of them!). But then again that's why the Chocolate Bar is $49 vs $54 for the Naked Palettes.

The cons are minor inconveniences since it didn't stop me from ordering it after daydreaming of it for months. Would I recommend it?! Yes! Especially if you (or a special lady in your life, like a friend, girlfriend, mother, sister) have a sweet tooth. It's quite expensive, but with the packaging, scent, pigments and variety of shades and tints, it can't be beat. Overall, I'm just obsessed with the juxtaposition of makeup and treats.

First I filled in the browbone with White Chocolate. Then I used Milk Chocolate for my lid and added Semi Sweet for the outer lid. For the crease I used Candied Violet and then I lined my lower lash line with Triple Fudge. As far as other makeup, I used: Tarte BB treatment 12-hour primer (Medium), Maybelline Face Studio Master Glaze Blush (Coral Sheen), L'oreal Voluminous Miss Manga Mascara (373 Black), and NYX Butter Gloss (Strawberry Parfait).

Do you have this product? Love it or leave it? Is it something you're interested in? Feel free to comment below!

No comments :

Post a Comment