An introduction to yours truly.

My name is Hannah, and I live in Northern California (Sacramento area, specifically, and I was a Bay Area native as a child). I am 24 going on 25, and entering my senior year at Sacramento State University. I will be graduating with a bachelor's degree in graphic design by Spring 2015. I have 2 forms of lupus (SLE and lupus nephritis) and it has affected my life for the past few years. Though I was diagnosed at the age of 16, I did not experience serious flares until I was 21 years old. These past few years have been a roller coaster. I've had hospital visits, monthly doctor's appointments and lab work, seizures (which result in a 6 month driving suspension), body image battles (thanks to prednisone), joint pain, a kidney biopsy and persisting high fevers all of October 2013. I took a semester off from college Spring 2012. It was a time of rest and getting some speech back after my first mini-stroke and seizure in December 2011. In addition, my dad passed away on February 7, 2013 from battling stage 4 lung cancer for 2 years. I miss him everyday.

These days, my lupus is under control physically, but it still has a hold on me mentally and emotionally. As of now, I am on 15 mg of prednisone (down from 80 mg in November 2013 due to those high fevers!) and holding on to that sliver of hope that I will taper it down and never have to take it again. I am currently not driving because I had 2 seizures this year. Not being able to drive has completely affected me emotionally, tested my patience, and made me question my independence and well being.

That doesn't mean I'm not thankful though! I acknowledge that my medical condition has been a breeze compared to other fellow spoonies. I do however, frequently ask myself, "Can I still live a full, beautiful life despite lupus?" I am thankful for God, my family, my friends, my boyfriend, my 2 dogs, being in a comfortable home, being able to still pursue school in a major I love despite the setbacks, etc.

I have always had an affinity of fashion and beauty. I may not be an expert on everything, but I am learning along the way and I want to share that love to whoever reads this blog. I want other people to know that despite what they're going through physically and emotionally, there is a way to feel beautiful inside and out. You are beautiful and fab no matter what chronic illness throws at you! And your life doesn't have to end because of it.

I also love to write. I have many abandoned blogs, and was also a part of the student newspaper my senior year in high school and my first year at community college (where I met my boyfriend of 5 and a half years! He was also involved in his high school newspaper his senior year). During that time, it when I realized that while I love to write, journalism and reporting wasn't for me. But design was something I always enjoyed. I had fun laying out headlines, photos, body text and captions on InDesign. This blog will be my way to get back into writing.

In this blog, I will be posting:

-Beauty reviews/tips
-Makeup/fashion hauls
-Seasonal looks
-Easy beauty/fashion routines for students
-My stories and experiences coping with lupus
-Some fitness stuff
-Some of my graphic design work (along with a bit of art and photography)
-Encouragement and inspiration for those who are struggling with chronic illness, mental illness, etc.
-Self care/health/wellness tips
-and more!

So I guess you can say this is a lifestyle blog with a little twist... (and even if I sorta call it a lifestyle blog, bear with me, my life is nothing like all like the other bloggers you see on Pinterest or Popsugar) I want to inspire and encourage others, and also myself. I want to get out of this funk I've been feeling, and I want to encourage myself to be the best I can be despite the struggle of chronic illness. But whether you have a chronic illness or not, sit back and enjoy. Feel free to laugh, cry, and think. Let's all be wonderful and fab...chronically fab!

2 comments :

  1. Hi Hannah,

    I was able to find your blog when i was looking for reviews for the Stila Patina and then decided to subscribe. As i was getting bored today, i checked your blog and found something really interesting. Aside from the fact that we both are loving make ups and beauty, we also have the same illness. I was diagnosed with SLE last 2009 at the age of 22, with Acute Renal Failure. So there, i stayed in the hospital for a month and was under treatment and unemployed for a year because i have to rest and was not able to regain my fast phased life until i have decided to go back to school to pursue my masters degree. So yeah, i might not have experienced the stroked and seizures, yet (hope not) but i did undergo kidney biopsy and went through chemotherapy and hemodialysis. But here i am, moved out of my comfort zone, out in the desert, working to pursue my dreams. :) Hope to hear from you soon! <3 ~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim!

      Sorry I haven't responded, but thank you so much for stopping by! Yeah I was diagnosed with SLE when I was 16 or 17 but I didn't start getting flares until I turned 21, also with being diagnosed with lupus nephritis. We almost have the same story, with getting kidney biopsies and with me it's been really hard to cope with prednisone...but it has helped me. And now I just graduated with my bachelor's degree. Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my posts! I love inspiring people and sharing my story especially to those who can relate! *hugs*

      Delete